Another pedestrian injured by cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Mmm, not good.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After The Allison case I can see why they did not hang around and did a runner. I personally would not be able to do that and I hope the pedestrian recovers soon. I hope that more facts come to light quickly before the comments section of the media go into overdrive. It does look to be on a pedestrian crossing, for the cyclist’s sake I hope the lights were on green.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He abandoned the bike a mile away.
Sounds very dodgy to me, not the actions of your average cyclist.
Police have recovered the bike so have some decent evidence.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
More info:

His bicycle was later found abandoned a mile away in Approach Close. It has been recovered by police.

Witnesses said she was hit by a man riding a dark red motorised “e-bike”. Police said a bicycle was recovered in nearby Approach Close and later confirmed it was battery-powered.

Caleb Garba, 30, said: “Two cyclists were trying to dodge her but one hit her at the crossing. He must have been going at some speed to do that much damage. My colleague brought out towels for her and put her into the recovery position. Her breathing was really bad.”

He said other people helped the cyclist get to his feet. “He was bleeding from the head and dazed but only wanted to get out of there. He didn’t say anything and ran away. People were telling him to wait for the police and get treatment. They tried to stop him.”

Another witness, who did not want to be named, said : “I heard a big bang and saw a guy on a bike on the floor and a lady unresponsive, like she had been knocked out. Someone who saw the incident started talking to him. It looked rather confrontational... next minute he had gone.” The witness described the e-bike cyclist as wearing an orange or red jumper and jeans, but no helmet. He added: “I’m sure the lights were red as it happened, so I can only assume she was crossing.”

Be interesting to learn if the e-bike in question was speed limited or had been modified. I see far too many e-bikes travelling, without pedalling, at far greater than the 25kph limit.

ref: https://www.ebiketuning.com/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
After The Allison case I can see why they did not hang around and did a runner. I personally would not be able to do that and I hope the pedestrian recovers soon. I hope that more facts come to light quickly before the comments section of the media go into overdrive. It does look to be on a pedestrian crossing, for the cyclist’s sake I hope the lights were on green.
The light being green shouldn't matter much - you still shouldn't run people over and the red crossing light isn't binding on pedestrians - but I think fleeing the scene and the bike being abandoned nearby suggests strongly it may have been stolen. E-bikes surely have several parts on which are numbered and could be traced to the owner, so I hope they reported it stolen promptly (before the collision). I also wonder whether it had been derestricted, basically turning it into an illegal electric motorcycle, and so a thief stole more than they expected, which could have contributed to the collision. Time will tell.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Unrestricted ebikes (it may not have been unrestricted) have more in common with mopeds than cycles.

All to common now on London commuter scene are electric scooters and electric skateboards, which are an accident waiting (or not) to happen given their lack of braking prowess

Saw someone on an electric stand up scooter with really small wheels going round the south circular the other day. Totally nuts when you consider pot holes/road problems, high centre of gravity and the number of hgvs on that road. Hope the pedestrian recovers.

jarlrmai

Veteran
An unrestricted ebike is a motor vehicle not a bicycle, have to wait and see if it was unrestricted. But I've been wondering what would happen when someone got hit by one.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
An unrestricted ebike is a motor vehicle not a bicycle, have to wait and see if it was unrestricted. But I've been wondering what would happen when someone got hit by one.
He would get the book thrown at him, no MOT, no tax, on insurance, and no helmet and that is just to start with, maybe that's why he did a runner.....and if it was going to be “trial by media” God help him.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unrestricted ebikes (it may not have been unrestricted) have more in common with mopeds than cycles.

Not just in common with them. They are smopeds or motorcycles, the final classification being determined by speed and weight. The legislation prevents them being readily switchable, so these muppets who fit a hidden full power switch under the seat are riding round on motor vehicles, even when switched to a legal power/speed output. These d***s are going to get them all banned without licence, insurance and number plates, and they'll ruin it for everyone.

Top Bottom