Another pedestrian injured by cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Legal grey areas "allowing for the conditions" could this include pedestrians on the pavement who could enter the roadway at anytime, no-one would assume so for cars but people bought it up a lot for the Alliston case, i.e. riding in a way to be able to cope with pedestrians who might just walk from the pavement straight in-front of you.

Double standards with cyclists held to a higher standard than motorists, which is clearly bonkers when considering relative consequences.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A few interesting questions spring to mind after seeing the video:
1.) If the bike had been a car, would it have made the news and had the same level of vitriol against the driver?
2.) If the bike had been a car would the driver have been arrested?
3.) If the pedestrian had been a cyclist and the cyclist a car driver, would the car driver be getting a medal?
4.) Did the cyclist do a runner because he was worried about a lynching?
5.) If the bike was stolen AND not road legal could the cyclist mitigate by saying he did not know it was not road legal because it was his?

jarlrmai

Veteran
Yeah mainly because he ran to be honest, also probably because we are interested in it from a "legal precedent" fashion especially in the light of the Alliston case.

There had been a lot of discussion when ebikes were generally new about what would happen if someone riding one, especially an unrestricted one hit someone, basically about how this would be thrown on the bonfire of "bad cyclists"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For that reason, I'd say it looks like both at fault. There is also fleeing the scene and possibly having a modified e-bike.
I've been reminded on another forum that there's currently no legal requirement for a cyclist to remain at the scene, unlike motorists... but if the e-bike was modified, technically he might be an unlicensed motorist, which opens a can of worms.

D

Deleted member 26715

1.) If the bike had been a car, would it have made the news and had the same level of vitriol against the driver?
Nope
If he failed to stay at the scene
3.) If the pedestrian had been a cyclist and the cyclist a car driver, would the car driver be getting a medal?
Total ballcocks of a question
4.) Did the cyclist do a runner because he was worried about a lynching?
Nope because he has no morals, see reply by @mjr lower, he actually has no legal obligation to stay, but in my mind he has a moral reason to stay.
5.) If the bike was stolen AND not road legal could the cyclist mitigate by saying he did not know it was not road legal because it was his?
Ignorance is not a defence

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Taking fleeing the scene aside, the lad on the W bike hasn’t done much wrong, it’s a green light for him, he didn’t appear to be going particularly quickly, he’s in primary, not hugging the kerb, and the poor lady darts out in front of him and keeps going Into him. Not much sign of eveading action from either party, possibly neither saw each other until impact

Last edited:

MiK1138

Veteran
Ratbag Sun "The crash on Tuesday evening follows a NUMBER of fatal collisions between cyclists and pedestrians in recent years." then proceeds to list one, well I suppose 1 is a number

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cyclist hits pedestrian, rare, but front page news. Driver hits pedestrian/cyclist, very common, never mentioned. Unfortunately, any fall can result in severe injury. Punched to ground can kill. Getting hit by a car when you are only cycling at 13mph can snap your spine in two.

I've been reminded on another forum that there's currently no legal requirement for a cyclist to remain at the scene, unlike motorists...

Surprising/interesting. Can Drago enlighten us?

Haven't looked in detail at this case I admit, though is true that pedestrians quite often do the damnest things. Crossing Tower Bridge a couple of weeks ago a bloke ran out right in front of me. I jammed on the brakes as I screamed at him. He gave me a foul look as if I was over-reacting and should instead have reached for/tingled my bell. Then ran across the road through another line of traffic and with a look of triumph vaulted a barrier.

It is true that peds often don't seem to see cyclists. Not too sure what can be done about that.

Whatever the strict legalese situation, the chap was daft to scarper for sure.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hard to judge his speed, but he was cracking on a bit.

Faster than I reckon I would go in those conditions.

Also hard to see what type of bike it was.

Looks like it may have a large rear hub motor, which makes it a Specialized push bike that's been converted rather than a Specialized factory made ebike.

The conversion could be road legal or not, but the speed of the bike rather suggests to me it was derestricted and/or over powered.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There was a hit and run last week in town. The driver has now been found and a young woman is still in hospital with serious injuries. Judging by the comments on the local facebook group, it's a definite yes to number one... and he has been arrested.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Hard to judge his speed, but he was cracking on a bit.

Faster than I reckon I would go in those conditions.

Also hard to see what type of bike it was.

Looks like it may have a large rear hub motor, which makes it a Specialized push bike that's been converted rather than a Specialized factory made ebike.

The conversion could be road legal or not, but the speed of the bike rather suggests to me it was derestricted and/or over powered.

Regardless of the speed he was doing, the lady gave him no chance to avoid her. She pretty well ran into him. I doubt the guy was thinking straight, between the adrenaline and the head knock that he appears to have taken, and that could be part of the reason why he walked off eventually.

No doubt if the bike is illegal he'll have the book thrown at him, but I think the blame lies mostly with the lady and the rider is fortunate there is CCTV of the incident.

Top Bottom