Another pedestrian injured by cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Will we learn if it was unrestricted? He seems to have been charged under "furious driving" I thought that was for cyclists as in drivers get charged with careless/dangerous driving (isn't it what Charlie Alliston was charged with) If I hit someone and ran on an unregistered moped would I be charged with that?

Crankarm

Guru
Not just in common with them. They are smopeds or motorcycles, the final classification being determined by speed and weight. The legislation prevents them being readily switchable, so these muppets who fit a hidden full power switch under the seat are riding round on motor vehicles, even when switched to a legal power/speed output. These d***s are going to get them all banned without licence, insurance and number plates, and they'll ruin it for everyone.

Lets hope so. It is inevitable, not only to protect themselves from themselves but to protect everyone else from them.

Crankarm

Guru
I hope all traditional cyclists are not going to be tarred by association with this incident involving an E-bike which on the face of it seems to me like it had probably been stolen to be ridden like it was.

Drago

Legendary Member
Difficult to be sure, but seems the poor lady may be at fault. That said, a bike pilot should be aware that peds do the damndest things and be riding within their ability to stop in case the worst should happen.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Bow Street Runners to finish their investigation and see if they release any details to the media before we'll really know.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Difficult to be sure, but seems the poor lady may be at fault. That said, a bike pilot should be aware that peds do the damndest things and be riding within their ability to stop in case the worst should happen.
For that reason, I'd say it looks like both at fault. There is also fleeing the scene and possibly having a modified e-bike.
I guess we'll have to wait for the Bow Street Runners to finish their investigation and see if they release any details to the media before we'll really know.
Amen, again.

I keep getting tempted to sign up just so I can reply to some of the comments on these sites, but in the end know it's futile.
There are some really disturbed and angry people in this world.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair even The Guardian have been bad of late for febrile comments by users. Something about newspapers that makes their readers become slavering loons. Youd think theyd have learned from a certain referendum in 2016 that calling people childish names makes them even more determined to do something you don't want them to do, but the message seems to have gone unheeded in tomes of all stripe.

jarlrmai

Veteran
[QUOTE 5367243, member: 9609"]I doubt the speed of the bike was above 30, and if it had been a fully licenced motorbike and the rider had stayed at the scene then probably no offence committed (i totally agree with others that no mater what, and esp in a built up area drivers/rides should just be able to stop) the poor lady did appear to run out rather sharpish, I hope she makes a good recovery. Pity the lad had not stayed at the scene he would of had a lot more sympathy.

I guess the speed of these bikes will take people by surprise, a quick glance and you see a cyclist some distance away and think you have plenty of time, but not realising it could be travelling at the speed of a motorbike.[/QUOTE]

30 is almost double the legal motor cutoff speed for an ebike, a pro cyclist could probably get 30mph out of one without the motor.

If he was driving an unlimited ebike then he is as guilty as a person riding a bike with no brakes or an uninsured moped.

is there a mirror of the video that's on on The S**'s website?

lane

Veteran

I thought the pedestrian was also partly at fault in the Allison case, but that didn't stop the cyclist involved going to prison due to an illegal bike. What would constitute the ability to stop in case the worst should happen - if someone steps out right in front of a cyclist I don't see how that is practicable? When driving, providing I am within the speed limit (allowing for the conditions) and my car is legal, I am paying attention and did my best to stop, if I hit a pedestrian who walked out in front of me my assumption is that I would not have liability. Does the same not apply to a cyclist?

jarlrmai

Veteran
Legal grey areas "allowing for the conditions" could this include pedestrians on the pavement who could enter the roadway at anytime, no-one would assume so for cars but people bought it up a lot for the Alliston case, i.e. riding in a way to be able to cope with pedestrians who might just walk from the pavement straight in-front of you.

Drago

Legendary Member
If it is an unlimited ebike he'll get knocked off for all the document offences, no insurance, presumably driving otherwise in accordance with a licence. Dangerous driving is an interesting one- a crime can be guilty of dangerous driving solely by the state of the vehicle, even if their actual driving itself is exemplary. *if* it is an ebike wound up to 11, but without the requisite standard of brakes, lighting, horn, even tyres with the requisite markings, the Fed's might try and persuade the CPS that it's DD by virtue of that alone.

But i know firet hand that these investigations are ballache that can drag on for months. Something as simple as finding a vehicle examiner who is qualified and certified to the evidential standard required for a prosecution is a serious nightmare (there are entire policing regions that do not have a single one), but hopefully the Met will have enough resources.

So many possibilities and permutations, we will see soon enough so guess.

Legal grey areas "allowing for the conditions" could this include pedestrians on the pavement who could enter the roadway at anytime, no-one would assume so for cars but people bought it up a lot for the Alliston case, i.e. riding in a way to be able to cope with pedestrians who might just walk from the pavement straight in-front of you.

It's unusual, but it does happen. I've known of a lady who knocked over a kiddie and a parent outside a school. She was not speeding, but successfully got knocked off for careless for travelling at a speed inappropriate to the conditions. The police make far more notice of that quirk than the public do, and the media do report upon it, but few read it and take any notice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Why are we all assuming that it's an illegally de-restricted e-bike? Purely because he did a runner?

From comparing his speed with the laden cyclist in front of him he didn't seem to be travelling 'that' quick, assume the other cyclist doing 8mph, he was doing 15mph looks about right.

Caveat I'm not defending him, just asking like.

Top Bottom