Another project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 401156 View attachment 401157

I like this colour; it's more of a French blue than wedgewood, maybe halfway between.

I'm going to give the paint another full coat in a day or two then leave it to harden for a week or so. How long does enamel take to be fully hardened?

I want to try & find a head badge from somewhere or I might make one. That could be fun. I need a Reynolds 531 sticker as well.
What sort of enamel is it ? Aerosol ?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Have you just paited over the old powder coat? Use an undercoat on it?

Yes, it's just spray enamel from Wilco's. I took the glaze off the powdercoat first then sprayed straight over; I figured that it's quite hard wearing and I can touch up the enamel easily when it gets scratched.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've repainted a few frames in (brush on) enamel, and it took a while for the paint to fully harden, around ten days. A few years on it has the odd chip and rub mark but still looks great, and as you say it's dead easy to touch up if it ever needs it.

Love the colour you've gone for, that's going to look lovely when built up.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
DSC_2925.JPG

So SICK of dealing with domestic crap at the moment. I thought I'd spend an hour in the garage putting together the Lee Cooper

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
just looking at the colour, really good finish.

just a thought, could you call lee cooper and ask him for one of his head badges? He's a nice guy and they look quite smart

I did ask about a head badge but he didn't reply on that one. Maybe I should try again.

The finish is awful up close! I was going to rub it down and give it another coat but I can't be bothered tbh.

I did ask about a head badge but he didn't reply on that one. Maybe I should try again.

The finish is awful up close! I was going to rub it down and give it another coat but I can't be bothered tbh.

I called into see him once, nice guy but isn't the most proactive on the contact front. how did you contact him?

I think I emailed first then called him after I received a reply.

best of luck if that's what you are after

Last edited:
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I called into see him once, nice guy but isn't the most proactive on the contact front. how did you contact him?

I emailed asking about the tubing and the year; it's 531 and was made in 1995. I asked for a head badge but the request probably got lost amongst the other stuff in the conversation. He did seem to be happy to communicate considering I bought the frame secondhand, for cheap!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
DSC_2935.JPG
DSC_2929.JPG DSC_2931.JPG DSC_2933.JPG DSC_2936.JPG

A few more pictures. I set up the back brake yesterday, and the BB, cranks and chain.

I had to fit the chainring back to front as the chain line is rubbish. It's that close now to the stay that it might rub in which case I'll have to move it again. I have some different cranks I could use but they are 5mm shorter at 165mm.

Do the bars look silly at that angle? The drop is a lot more than it looked in the pictures on ebay, and I've tipped them back to get a better position on the hoods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just about finished now. The chain is very noisy for some reason (maybe because I'm using an old chainring back to front) but it feels good otherwise! It seems to pick up well, even using 48x17, and it feels light and aggressive.

DSC_2948.JPG

It's not suddenly green; the green background is screwing up my phone camera.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hmm... bars and stem very flexy. shame, it seems like a good climber otherwise. I might try my ATAC stem and straight bars with bar ends off Aryton (my Falcon Team Equipe). Otherwise I could try dropping the stem as far as it'll go, but the riding position will then be a bit extreme...

Top Bottom