Another puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
These are mostly all the small sharp wires like from the steel belts from blown out truck lorry tires tyres. I did order some puncture resistant tires and tire liners for my drop bar bike that have not arrived....but the tires on it have less than 100 miles on them. I have also been getting them on my Towne bike, it has 26 x 2's on it that have less than 700 miles on them with plenty of tread left. I did receive tire liners for these in the mail today, I will put them on before I ride today. I check my tire inflation each time before I ride and that seems to be ok.

I think my biggest problem is a couple of the routes I like to use are high speed highways with wide paved shoulders without a lot of traffic. One is a bypass route that is not totally complete, they never do any sweeping on it yet. I used to normally get a flat here and there but not at this rate.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

Evans are doing a 20% off deal in conjunction with Sky Ride.

It took a bit of hassle as the Evans website didn't seem to want to recognise the offer, but a quick call to Head Office sorted that out. You might be able to sort it with your local store.

However, I digress. The point of my message was that they would do me a pair of Continental Gatorskin tyres 700 x 23c for just £34.39 which is a really good price for a fabulous puncture resistant tyre.

Only problem is that the offer ends on Sunday :sad:

Just ordered myself a pair of the Continental Gatorskin tyres 700 x 23c from Wiggle for £36. Happy times! I tried Evans but like you said no joy - and nobody to speak to. Thanks again for advice.

I've only used the turbo trainer once since i bought it.
That's all most folk do after buying a turbo ^_^

I doubt one turbo session would have affected the tyre, unless the roller tension against the tyre was too high, or your session lasted about a week :tongue:

My mate uses his turbo a lot, (only person I know that does use one regularly!), and he's never had a problem with his rear tyre TBH.

Most stock tyres that come on bikes are pretty poor ones IME. Get some decent tyres, tubes are tubes IMO, check your rim tape is OK and seated correctly, then crack on :thumbsup:

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

Pretty sure something wasn't right with it. After i got the bike off the turbo trainer it was still leaving black tyre marks all over the floor where the tyre was so hot. Like you said the original tyres probably weren't great plus i have done 1300 miles on them. I can't complain to much!

Cyclist33

Wiggle - Helping You Spend Less Every Day, lol

sittingbull

Veteran
I did get the right ones then ^_^

I had a pinch-flat last week and put a brand new tube in, 2 miles down the road it was flat again :sad:

It turned out to be a manufacturing fault near the valve (IMHO). The tube looked hard and deformed in a small area as if a patch had been applied and then removed (the tube was definitely unused). I mentioned it to a friend who had a similar fault around the valve with 2 of his tubes too. I'm checking my new ones carefully now.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
or it could be simply the time of year when hedges are being cut! suprising how many thorns you can pick up in the lanes, same has happened to us before. lots of punctures in one week

Davidc

Guru
^^
Depends what sort of puncture. If it's fast enough and on the front you come off, in my experience in a half controlled way. At the back, again in my experience, you wobble a lot but can stop under control. That said I have never had a blow out at speed, only a couple of times in 50+ years and then at 10 mph ish speeds.

The blow outs have both been on tyres which looked good - no weave showing, some tread left etc. when I havent done regular checks on how many very small cuts tyres have, or how soft the rubber has become. Attention to those and throwing out tyres with either seems to avoid sudden failures and also reduce the number of punctures I have.

Top Bottom