Another reason for using a helmet camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No footage this time and no incident! :biggrin: In fact I had to drive in today as I need to transport some heavy imaging phantoms, which is a shame as it was a lovely sunny, crisp morning..;)

Anyway, I was thinking last night about another reason why it is particularly important for cyclists to have helmet cameras. When two cars collide there is usually dents and scratches left on both cars. These marks very rarely leave any doubt about the angle of impact and the speed of impact. From this information alone it is often possible to determine fault.

However, when a car is in collision with a cyclist there is less evidence of this nature. Only one car will have marks on it. We know where the collision happened with the car, but it is very difficult to know where the collision happened on the bike or cyclist. When we are hit we tend to spin twist etc and injuries and bike damage can occur at locations remote to the initial impact. It can therefore, be difficult without eyewitness or camera evidence to determine the angle at which the cyclist is hit.

Just a thought....

Remember accidents of a serious nature are rare and the VAST majority of cycle commutes are safe and enjoyable. Dont have nightmares...... cue music.....;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Interesting point, though the camera might not always catch a lot of the detail if the'action' is out of the main line of its vision.

(Your Crimewatch spoof there got me thinking of the music to "999" with Michael Burke, and his voiceovers that always started out along the lines of "Mr X was just having a normal day like any other, unaware of the life-threatening injury he was about to sustain.." Dee-dee-daaaaahhhh !!! And somehow I think that your clips on YouTube are crying out for that "Burke" intro :tongue:)

Top Bottom