Another rugby league player dies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Was he wearing a helmet?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wouldn't want a kid (or grandkid) of mine to play rugby.

It is a difficult decision for a parent to make. On one side there is the risk of injury. Thankfully most rugby injuries are not particularly serious but some, sadly, are. On the other hand rugby provides an opportunity to make friends (at school this is very important), enjoy some camaraderie and learn to appreciate the value of teamwork.

I think it's important to understand the difference between professional rugby and, for example, schoolboy rugby. They are like chalk and cheese in terms on the physicality.

On balance we are happy to encourage son #2 to play as we consider that the rewards outweigh the risks. Of course other parents or grandparents may weigh this up differently

Globalti

Legendary Member
I believe drugs are being used in professional Rugby as much as in other sports, which is what explains the massive size of some players. If it's not drugs, it's gym work and high-protein diets. Unfortunately though you can't toughen the head and neck against the greater forces that will be involved when two heavily-built players collide.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
They are reducing the interchanges in rugby league next year so teams cannot put big guys on for ten minutes to smash everyone. As there are less interchanges they will have to stay on longer, this means they will need to be learner and fitter and less likely to have to freshness to continually put in shots

Remains to be seen if this works

Maybe they take drugs maybe they don't, they are tested and people do get banned so I hope it's the exception but yes they are full time pros and train for contact, not sure it's the same in Union

martint235

Dog on a bike
They are reducing the interchanges in rugby league next year so teams cannot put big guys on for ten minutes to smash everyone. As there are less interchanges they will have to stay on longer, this means they will need to be learner and fitter and less likely to have to freshness to continually put in shots

Remains to be seen if this works

Maybe they take drugs maybe they don't, they are tested and people do get banned so I hope it's the exception but yes they are full time pros and train for contact, not sure it's the same in Union
Although not as numerous as in League yet, the injuries in Union are increasing for the same reason. However in Union, there isn't the same recycling of players during a match and still the injuries are rising. Players are encouraged to train to bulk up including faster backs. The momentum and energy carried into a tackle by say a winger/centre bringing down a back row forward are way higher than they were 10 years ago which is resulting in quite scary scenes (even where no injury is suffered). The back row forwards can still expect to play the full 80 mins and if anything it's the larger centres that are being used as "impact" players

I don't believe it's drug related (there is almost certainly some drug use in rugby but I wouldn't say it's higher than any other sport). However I'm not sure what the authorities can do to increase safety without hamstringing the sport.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quite right, top level players are bigger and fitter than their predecessors of 20 plus years ago. They carry more energy into contact with increased risk.

I read somewhere that the current South Africa U18 schoolboy side is heavier than the full SA international side of (I think) 30 years ago.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Although not as numerous as in League yet, the injuries in Union are increasing for the same reason. However in Union, there isn't the same recycling of players during a match and still the injuries are rising. Players are encouraged to train to bulk up including faster backs. The momentum and energy carried into a tackle by say a winger/centre bringing down a back row forward are way higher than they were 10 years ago which is resulting in quite scary scenes (even where no injury is suffered). The back row forwards can still expect to play the full 80 mins and if anything it's the larger centres that are being used as "impact" players

I don't believe it's drug related (there is almost certainly some drug use in rugby but I wouldn't say it's higher than any other sport). However I'm not sure what the authorities can do to increase safety without hamstringing the sport.
Yeh it's a difficult one to manage.

I think it will work in league to some extent as the ball is in play longer so guys will tire, union seems to have more natural breaks for people to rest, whether this is better or worse I'm not sure

I'm a fan of reducing interchanges and allowing a slower play of the ball which IMO has become a farce

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There's a big issue in American Football also at the moment regarding head injury and deaths/degenerative mental health. Class action law suits, players leaving the game after a season or two citing fears of debilitating injury later in life and older players leaving their brains to research. There has even been a suggestion recently (don't know how serious or not) to do away with helmets to try and reduce the gung ho, hit em hard and fast culture.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's a big issue in American Football also at the moment regarding head injury and deaths/degenerative mental health. Class action law suits, players leaving the game after a season or two citing fears of debilitating injury later in life and older players leaving their brains to research. There has even been a suggestion recently (don't know how serious or not) to do away with helmets to try and reduce the gung ho, hit em hard and fast culture.

I could easily see rugby going in the opposite direction. When I used to play you almost never saw someone wearing a scrum cap. Now, in schoolboy rugby, they're commonplace. Not helmets, but I could easily see mandatory head protectors of some sort. The RU have only just twigged what a timebomb they have regarding the effect of persistent concussive injuries in the way that the US has. I suspect you'll see something mandatory in the next few years

Jayaly

I wouldn't want a kid (or grandkid) of mine to play rugby.

Oldest son plays for his school team and it scares the crap out of me. He tells me that the harder you get hit the more fun it is. His dad tells me that he's okay because he plays on the wing and not in the meat grinder in the middle. I wouldn't stop him playing a sport he lives, but I can't watch him play.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oldest son plays for his school team and it scares the crap out of me. He tells me that the harder you get hit the more fun it is. His dad tells me that he's okay because he plays on the wing and not in the meat grinder in the middle. I wouldn't stop him playing a sport he lives, but I can't watch him play.
Unfortunately the meat grinders hit harder but slightly slower, the wings hit with more weight and higher speeds than they used to. The energy transference involved in collisions is rising in both areas.

I used to play second row but gave it up not through fear of serious injury but just because waking up on a Sunday morning used to hurt so much. At the time you're full of adrenaline and don't notice it, then after the game (for an adult player) there's the trip down the pub so it's often Sunday morning that you realise that 18 stone of opposition second row has been repeatedly running full pelt into your chest.

Top Bottom