Another rugby league player dies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The player who made the tackle has been cited
I'm not sure that helps. Unless it was clearly dangerous play (which is doesn't seem to be as the QRL haven't released a detail of the charge), there are surely grounds for quietly dropping the citation. I imagine that Molo feels bad enough that one of his tackles resulted in the death of a player without playing it out further in the media.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
gave it up not through fear of serious injury but just because waking up on a Sunday morning used to hurt so much. At the time you're full of adrenaline and don't notice it, then after the game (for an adult player) there's the trip down the pub so it's often Sunday morning that you realise that 18 stone of opposition second row has been repeatedly running full pelt into your chest.

Similar here, Sundays could be hell but then I had an injury lay off and first game back I suddenly realised it was hurting during the game and I wasn't having a great time....so that was my exit point, 27 years old and played from 8 years old.

None of my sons play and I never encouraged them to try....I still have some ongoing back issues and never played at anything near the intensity of the top level modern game

Brains

Legendary Member
I read somewhere that the current South Africa U18 schoolboy side is heavier than the full SA international side of (I think) 30 years ago.

This is probably true, but they were all a difference race 30 years ago.
Apartheid was still in full swing, and Nelson Mandela was still in prison

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is probably true, but they were all a difference race 30 years ago.
Apartheid was still in full swing, and Nelson Mandela was still in prison

Eh? Most of the players are still of white Afrikaan origin. The fact is that the strength and conditioning undertaken by U18s of international standard is leading to more muscular 18 year olds than adults of an earlier rugby generation

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I'm not sure that helps. Unless it was clearly dangerous play (which is doesn't seem to be as the QRL haven't released a detail of the charge), there are surely grounds for quietly dropping the citation. I imagine that Molo feels bad enough that one of his tackles resulted in the death of a player without playing it out further in the media.

Yes I'm sure this one will be given lots of thought, I'm sure the defender doesn't fancy playing next week anyway

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I played from 8-23, four years as a pro and a couple of years in the academy. Loved it then had enough to, got offered another contract and walked away at 23, I'd had enough

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not a good reply
Consider it a thought-experiment. It's always the first question asked when someone dies of head injury while cycling. Why isn't it the first question asked in a different sport?

For what it's worth, I suspect that head protection is of minimal effect. IIRC, if you're playing rugby (either code) and you're hitting with your head then you're doing it very wrong.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Re drugs, BBC Welsh News have run a number of reports recently about steroid abuse at even the lowest levels of amateur rugby. It is apparently a very widespread practice in the game, at least in this region.

martint235

Dog on a bike
"He claimed the club insisted he take medication and play, which eventually led to him walking away from a lucrative contract."

I've been a Saints fan all my life. My aunt still live two doors from what was the Dunriding Lane entrance to Knowsley Road. Their training ground was just inside the gates there and as a kid I fondly remember going in and throwing a ball around with professional rugby league players. And now the quote above taken from Marmion's link sickens me. To treat a player like that is unforgiveable.

Drago

Legendary Member
Very sad, but at least he had the gumption to get out and live life instead of sitting at home with his X station. At least he'll go to Valhalla.

"He claimed the club insisted he take medication and play, which eventually led to him walking away from a lucrative contract."

I've been a Saints fan all my life. My aunt still live two doors from what was the Dunriding Lane entrance to Knowsley Road. Their training ground was just inside the gates there and as a kid I fondly remember going in and throwing a ball around with professional rugby league players. And now the quote above taken from Marmion's link sickens me. To treat a player like that is unforgiveable.

To add a reply to that article. The club have also made a statement totally refuting the allegations made.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/5791

Drago

Legendary Member
I believe drugs are being used in professional Rugby as much as in other sports, which is what explains the massive size of some players. If it's not drugs, it's gym work and high-protein diets. Unfortunately though you can't toughen the head and neck against the greater forces that will be involved when two heavily-built players collide.
I'm heavier and bigger across the chest and arms that the average size for the England squad for this years 6 Nations (unfortunately, my waistline no longer compares positively) and I've never touched an illegal or even immoral performance or mass enhancing substance in my life.

Without doubt such drug abuse takes place, but the rise in size and muscle mass of the average top flight player over the last 20 years has been mainly down to the professionalism of the sport. Players now have time to train intensely and consistently, and are coached and trained to a level unimaginable in the amateur game of yore. These things were simply impossible in days past when a National squad player had to work a full time job to support themselves.

martint235

Dog on a bike
To add a reply to that article. The club have also made a statement totally refuting the allegations made.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/5791
Thanks for posting that.

Difficult to know who to believe. What axe does Hohaia have to grind? He's going in to property development now and there's no mention of a book. A rogue staff member acting without the authorisation or knowledge of the club?

Thanks for posting that.

Difficult to know who to believe. What axe does Hohaia have to grind? He's going in to property development now and there's no mention of a book. A rogue staff member acting without the authorisation or knowledge of the club?

It will be interesting if this goes any further. As the club claim to have detailed records of the medical condition, and treatment.

Something else is clearly going on in this story, and it wouldn't be true or fair to make any assumptions either way. 9 months later, in a NZ newspaper, while a resident in the USA. Is a strange place to be having an argument from, it does lead me to believe there's more going on.

WishFM today reported that St Helens RLFC are now considering legal action against him/the paper for the claims without evidence.

Top Bottom