Another saddle thread,looking for the holy grail of saddles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

The character-building aspect of saddle choice eludes me. This is so wrong.
Tbh, I have some degree of agreement with @gavroche here. I do feel there is some degree of getting used to a new saddle. For example, I have a Brooks B17 on my audax bike and if I haven't ridden it for a while then initially it does feel a little unforgiving. After a couple of rides, my backside has regained its memory for it and I'm away again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Every uncomfortable saddle that I have ever tried got MORE uncomfortable as I used it more, not LESS!

The bike I bought to take to Devon and leave at my sister's house had a saddle that I quite liked the look of, but I had my doubts that it would suit me. It didn't feel too bad on the first few rides but 200 km worth of rides later it was killing me! I swapped it for my saddle of choice and got instant relief, though I still had residual discomfort from the damage incurred earlier in the holiday. My second holiday was done entirely on the good saddle and I had no problems.

jay clock

Massive member
These threads usually descend rapidly into "buy a Brooks/Charge Spoon'. Which happens to be my choice. B17 on the tourer (about 12 years old at a guess) and Spoons on several other bikes. The main benefit of the Spoon is that they are cheap to try out and about 80% of people who try seem to like them. Easily resold if you don't like

Fredo76

Über Member
Tbh, I have some degree of agreement with @gavroche here. I do feel there is some degree of getting used to a new saddle. For example, I have a Brooks B17 on my audax bike and if I haven't ridden it for a while then initially it does feel a little unforgiving. After a couple of rides, my backside has regained its memory for it and I'm away again.
Sure, I'll grant some time to get used to it, but when I found the one that fit my shape, it went from 'kind of funny feeling' to 'this is great' pretty quickly. My friend believes it's a matter of breaking in your butt as well, but I think fundamental shape incompatibilities need to be addressed. The stock seat on my Triumph motorcycle would start hurting after 25 miles - unacceptable. The King and Queen seat fixed that just fine. Why suffer?

When I was racing on a well-broken-in Brooks Pro long ago, my limiting factor for weekly mileage was my rear. Old pros told stories of riding on raw steaks to deal with saddle pain. I am not making this up. :smile:

Top Bottom