Another scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Last Thursday night i got a text message,telling me i had £2,310 to come back from a miss selling PPI product.
Well that was news to me because in the past 25 years i have never taken out any loans.My wife takes care of the financial side,she wanted to and i trust her,so it was impossible for me to have any refund.
Well this morning i got a phonecall again telling me i have a claim,
I was told to press 9 or 5 or some number.Sorry pal i am a bit too old to be caught out.So watch out out there,or you might get stung.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I string them out by asking them to:

Identify me
Identify the loan
Identify the Insurance company

Then I question their ability to act on my behalf when they can not answer my three simple questions.

When I'm feeling really mischievous I tell them that I have terminal cancer and have only a few weeks left and could they possibly guarantee a settlement within fourteen days to facilitate the purchase of powerful narcotics to ease me into the next world.

The ensuing embarrassed silence is priceless.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The business model is that they send out texts more or less at random, harvest the numbers and sell them as warm leads to law firms or claims management companies. A couple of companies have recently been told to stop by the regulators.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Last Thursday night i got a text message,telling me i had £2,310 to come back from a miss selling PPI product.
Well that was news to me because in the past 25 years i have never taken out any loans.My wife takes care of the financial side,she wanted to and i trust her,so it was impossible for me to have any refund.
Well this morning i got a phonecall again telling me i have a claim,
I was told to press 9 or 5 or some number.Sorry pal i am a bit too old to be caught out.So watch out out there,or you might get stung.
I had that earlier today as well. Well, my answer phone did. If they ring again, I'll pick up and try Vernon's method :thumbsup:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The business model is that they send out texts more or less at random, harvest the numbers and sell them as warm leads to law firms or claims management companies. A couple of companies have recently been told to stop by the regulators.
Precisely this.

Forward spam texts to 7726, with the spammer's phone number. It will get investigated and dealt with.

My spam texts have been reducing since I started doing that.

I will be trying that, thanks for the heads up.

Maz

Guru
Forward spam texts to 7726, with the spammer's phone number. It will get investigated and dealt with.

My spam texts have been reducing since I started doing that.
How much does it cost to send a message to 7726?
Can you call it irrespective of which network you are on?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I feel almost left out. The only spam texts I get are from Vodafone itself, and if I bothered I could probably stop them anyway....

SpareSprocket

I made the mistake once replying to one of these texts - ok, it was tell them to f*ck off and stop spamming me but they took that as permission to call me back. Obviously they don't actually read the responses that they get (which is a shame) !

Anyway, when they called me back I pointed out that I'd never had a loan. No problem, he told me that I could make up a claim as there was a good chance that they'd just settle anyway due to the numbers that they get.

When I pointed out that was fraud and that they were just a bunch of parasites the operator took *great* offence at that and asked me why they were a parasite. I asked him where all this 'free' money came from. The banks, he replied. Yes, I said, but where does it actually come from ? The banks was the reply I got again. And again. And again.

After repeating this for something like about 2-3 minutes, I asked him if he had a bank account and was he happy when his bank charged him a huge fee every time he went overdrawn.

He then started ranting at me about how much the banks rip off their customers with ridiculous fees.

I pointed out to him (very helpfully I thought) that if parasites like him didn't keep creaming off a commission from the banks and generally wasting the time of the banks with false claims then the bank fees would be lower as that's where a lot of the money that the banks were paying out came from. It came from their customers - not the shareholders!

You could have heard a pin drop at the other end (as well as a very large penny !)

He then apologised repeatedly (it got quite embarassing actually) for wasting my time. Turns out he'd only been working for that particular company for a few hours . . .

Hopefully I helped him in his career choice !

Top Bottom