Another shock horror ancestry secret unveiled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My family are decidedly all boring. As far as I know most of My family were farmers in Southern Ireland and didn't commit any crime. Of course there could be a skeleton or 3 hiding in the cupboard somewhere :laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
A cart slipped off it's chocks, my distant great great aunt managed to put the baby she was holding on the tailboard before she was cut in two.

My father had a much older half brother (would have been born about 1915).
He was Oswald Mosley's 'enforcer' and led a pack of brown shirts.

In 1938, Just before the start of WW2, my father (aged about 8) remembered him turning up at the family pile in Hampshire in full Brownshirt/Nazi Uniform and greeting his father with a German salute and Heil Hitler.
His father* shut the door in his face and that was the last anyone in the family saw of of "Norman the Nazi" as he became known.
We did some digging in the 1970's and found he had died an alcoholic in the then slum area of Covent Garden in the late 1950's

* Incidentally my grandfather (1880-1952) lead a colourful life, being detained in the 1890's in a cell in Manaus in central Brazil for being involved in a fight involving GBH, and 'escaped' by paddling a stolen canoe down the Amazon from Manaus to the sea, a distance of some 1,500 miles where he then got a job on a ship to the USA.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
On my mothers side, her great grandmother was abducted from a fishing village in Ireland by her great grandfather and taken back to Portknockie where he married her. The girl didn't seem to have any say in the matter.

geocycle

Legendary Member
One relative chose the Kings side in the English Civil War. Went to Ireland to recruit troops and got his head chopped off for his efforts. Lost his health and the family wealth.

Some years ago - like some time in the 1970s or early 80s - my Dad told me that my Grandad had had a letter from a solicitor in London that was investigating the last remnants of Catherine Parr's (last wife of Henry 8th) will.
Apparently there have been lots of attempts to sort it all out but an amount has always remained. Due to improved technology his firm had been asked to have another go at tracking down the last few people who are entitled to money and/or property.
As his wife was called Parr he had checked things out and considered that there was a possibility that she was one of the last remaining decendants

So there are several possibilites
a) I could be related to royalty and probably should invite Wills and Catherine round for tea at some point
b) Scams started WAY before the WWW!!!!

My wife has so far refused to address me as My Lord - women can be so unreasonable!!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
On my wife's side, a relative of hers was imprisoned for bigamy. He was a canal bargeman and seemed to have relationships in various places on the canal routes.
Also on my wife's side, an uncle of hers was involved in the criminal underworld as "protection". Apparently he offered to fund my wife through both junior and senior public schools, but my late mother in law declined.

classic33

Leg End Member
One relative chose the Kings side in the English Civil War. Went to Ireland to recruit troops and got his head chopped off for his efforts. Lost his health and the family wealth.
May well have met up with men under the control of an ancestor of mine. He married a local lass, when he moved his main barracks out of Limerick to Killaloe. He lies buried in the grounds of the church at the bottom of the hill, near the river.

On the other side, there was a former IRA member, Easter 1916, who went on to become a guard for Taoiseach Jack Lynch.

Off topic but many years ago - when I was about 16-17 my Mum was out for the evening and we were having dinner - the radio was on and the News reported that a man had been imprisoned for bigamy.

My Dad commented that it seemed strange to him that this bloke had been found guilty of having 2 wives
and the punishment was to send him somewhere where there were no women!!

When I was in the Middle East, one of my colleagues (who I didn't know very well) was going home to the UK on holiday during which time she would marry her boyfriend who was already on leave in England arranging things.
The day before she was due to fly home, with her wedding dress made by a local dressmaker and carefully packed, she got a phone call from her husband-to-be's current wife and his other bigamous wife who had accidentally met each other through a group for wives of expat husbands working for a certain large company.
I presume that would've been trigamy if he'd succeeded?

When I was in the Middle East, one of my colleagues (who I didn't know very well) was going home to the UK on holiday during which time she would marry her boyfriend who was already on leave in England arranging things.
The day before she was due to fly home, with her wedding dress made by a local dressmaker and carefully packed, she got a phone call from her husband-to-be's current wife and his other bigamous wife who had accidentally met each other through a group for wives of expat husbands working for a certain large company.
I presume that would've been trigamy if he'd succeeded?
:eek::eek::eek:

What - he like wedding cake and hate simple lives or something?????

Top Bottom