Another shock horror ancestry secret unveiled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mother’s family were from Millom, Cumbria, an iron working village Where they owned a tiny terraced cottage. Came as a shock to find they can find unbroken links back to the 1280s when there number included an Earl of Carlisle and owners of a castle near Haltwhistle. The name is Saxon but they did deals with the Normans to get a baronacy. The castle, which would have been a fortified farm, still stands looking grander than ever after a Victorian gothic revival. As mentioned above the fortunes of this branch of the family took a dive in the civil war.

What - he like wedding cake and hate simple lives or something?????

You tell me - you might have more insight into the male mind than I have! Again the the ME, I worked with a lovely older woman who met someone who seemed very nice, she was American he was English.
I had NO SUSPICIONS about him at all.
Ernie and Sylvia went on hols together to Sri Lanka, they seemed really close and Ernie was wondering if Sylvia could co-ordinate leave to go home with him next time and meet his brother and SIL etc etc. Then Ernie came back from a leave and phones Sylvia up, saying please come round to my house on the compound, bring Norah with you, I'd like you both to meet my wife...

My wife's first husband - and hence her son - was at one point set to inherit a Castle in Ireland
not really something huge - just a ruin with a small farm
but then someone got married again and had some kids so he dropped down the inheritance line

apparently that particular husband was a wast of space anyway - no job, no intention of getting one and all that - so she kicked him out
I am her 3rd - I do not have any high bars to clear in terms of expectations!!!

I was going to say he should by a bike - but that might just lead to more opportunities

I think my wife already wonders about how long I spend riding around the vicinity and coming back all sweaty:angel:

I think a bike in Riyadh in the early 1970s might have led to his very rapid death - by a 12yo driving a Toyota HiLux with a camel folded up in the back ... but it'd've resulted in very few 'opportunities' - which would only've been a good thing!

I haven't traced my family tree, although a cousin has traced my dad's side back to around 1800. Nothing exciting. Mostly factory workers.

But we do have one family "mystery". One of my dad's brothers went to Australia in 1947 and all trace of him is lost. We know he got there because he sent a card and a small gift back home, but after that there is nothing. My cousin has tried all sorts of avenues, even Salvation Army but nothing can be found.

My uncle was a merchant seaman so he may possibly have gone back to sea but I guess we will never know what happened to him..... I hope he had a happy life.

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't traced my family tree, although a cousin has traced my dad's side back to around 1800. Nothing exciting. Mostly factory workers.

But we do have one family "mystery". One of my dad's brothers went to Australia in 1947 and all trace of him is lost. We know he got there because he sent a card and a small gift back home, but after that there is nothing. My cousin has tried all sorts of avenues, even Salvation Army but nothing can be found.

My uncle was a merchant seaman so he may possibly have gone back to sea but I guess we will never know what happened to him..... I hope he had a happy life.
Try passenger lists.

Talking of seaman that reminds me a forebear of mine couldn't be found on a census, then the librarian realised that if you'd been in clink you wouldn't be, I think he was in RN jail and it was I believe in late 1800's maybe early 1900's.

Top Bottom