Another touring "what bike" thread - Sub 1K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
horrible stem, horrible short top tube, the saddle looks terrible, cabling is awful, i could go on, but i think you get the jist of it..........

The stem is standard for that time period although few people had them that high up.
The short top tube is so the rider has a more upright position, it is a touring bike after all. Uber wide 700c tyres at the time were almost unheard of so they didn't need long bikes to help with tyre clearance.
Agree with you on the saddle, but there are indeed designed for comfort, not looks.
Cabling? They didn't have STI levers in those days and cables almost always sprung out from the top of the brake levers.
Anything else you're completely clueless about?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The stem is standard for that time period although few people had them that high up.
The short top tube is so the rider has a more upright position, it is a touring bike after all. Uber wide 700c tyres at the time were almost unheard of so they didn't need long bikes to help with tyre clearance.
Agree with you on the saddle, but there are indeed designed for comfort, not looks.
Cabling? They didn't have STI levers in those days and cables almost always sprung out from the top of the brake levers.
Anything else you're completely clueless about?
Ah so now im clueless for not agreeing with your opinion......it just gets better.

When it comes to owning and building my own bikes there is one thing i am not and thats clueless.

But well done on the not so classy answer

jowwy

No, you just posted on this thread to insult someone's bike without adding anything else to the discussion to help the op.
I'll do the same although I've no doubt it is certain to be moderated.

To me, your face is an ugly mess. :tongue:
Ah....my mother loves my face, but personal insults just shows how low some people go to ensure their opinion gets heard above the noise

jowwy

But you’re comment is not in any way helpful to the OP. If you really feel the need to express your opinion why comment in such a rude brainless manner.... Unbelievable!
I took tips from skipdriver on how he express's his opinion on others bikes and on how much they spend on them....what goes round comes around in life im afraid

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
can you honestly say you care about what others think????
Yes, otherwise what is the point of sharing an opinion or anecdote?

I admit to valuing and respecting the views of some correspondents more than others.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To step in defence of @jowwy . It may have been very blunt and a bit rude, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder afterall there are hundreds of posts from @SkipdiverJohn slating the look of modern bikes. To a lots of people, modern bikes are the look of bikes they are used to, vintage bikes just look weird. Luckily I am of the right age to appreciate both for what they are.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's one thing to slate a particular make or type of bike in general, but when it's someone's personal bike, that's different.
I personally think carbon fibre bikes are the stupidest thing to have been invented and I think it's well known I have that view, but I wouldn't go so low as to tell Jim or Bob that their own bike was a stupid thing. That would be personal.

jowwy

It's one thing to slate a particular make or type of bike in general, but when it's someone's personal bike, that's different.
I personally think carbon fibre bikes are the stupidest thing to have been invented and I think it's well known I have that view, but I wouldn't go so low as to tell Jim or Bob that their own bike was a stupid thing. That would be personal.
but you will stoop as low as personal insults towards people you have never met like a keyboard warrior, just because their opinion doesn't match yours.........so you base level for insults is pretty low

jowwy

The use of the word 'disgusting' was pretty OTT - that's usually a word I'd use to describe egg mayonnaise, sea urchin, a heinous crime (which egg mayo is) or genocide!
each to their own......but your own distain for other peoples bikes, especially black ones are very well know

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It wasn't a case of a difference of opinion Mr Jowwy.
You blatantly insulted the man's bike thus insulting him. All I did was give you a taste of your own medicine.
If you think you did no wrong, maybe you should wonder then why so many have called you out on it.
There was absolutely no need whatsoever for you to post your thoughts on how skipdivers bike looked. Had you pointed out a fault with the bike as to why it was unsuitable for touring then that might sway the ops view on that or a similar bike for its intended purpose, but you thinking its less than pretty and letting everyone know it doesn't help anyone.

Not to mention also that your post has led to the thread going off topic. :headshake:

Last edited:
Top Bottom