Another tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've a couple of old steel framed bikes. The one I've hardly ever used - it still has the same wheels & tyres as when I bought it. It recently got a flat tyre and I've noticed that it has a tubeless tyre ie the tyre is stuck on. Yes, I've only just discovered and yes, I'm on a very steep learning curve !!!

I'd like to know, what is the advantage of these tyres ? If I were to do a ride any distance from home and the tyre punctured,what would I do ? Are these used on long distance events ? How do people manage if they get a flat ? Can canisters really fill the hole effectively ?

Currently, the bike tyres are 700C x 23, my LBS quoted "about £200 inc. hubs" for a new set of wheels/new cassette etc - which is about £200 more than the bike is worth ! The bike shop chappie said that my bike was 126mm at the back could could take a larger hub.

I've seen a pair of cheapish wheels for sale :

Campagnolo small flange Q/R Tipo hubs for screw on freewheel 7 speed. Mavic Module 4 rims. 36 hole. Ideal for 28mm + tyres

Would I notice much difference between these (700 x 28) and my current 700 X 23 combination ?

Alternatively,

the same seller also has :

Pair of handbuilt wheels using 1995-ish Chorus hubs (less than 900 miles use) - stripped, examined, reballed, greased and polished up a treat - slight marking to chrome plated skewers - threaded rear hub for 7 speed freewheel.

Built into new silver 36 hole Mavic Open Sport rims - perfect for 25 and 28mm tyres. Laced with new 2/1.8mm D/B Sapim spokes. Includes Velox rim tape

Front unused. Rear has done under 100 miles.

To include oldish but perfectly working Sachs 12-28 freewheel. Which is indexing perfectly with my 7 speed XT R/M and Ult Bar End shifters - would also index with Campag 8 speed Ergos.

Would these fit my bike ?

My bike currently has 700C x23 wheels/tyres, Campagnolo gear changers on downtube, Campagnolo front derailleur, old Compagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur, 5 speed screw in cassette.

Thank you very much for any advice !!!

Anyone got any cheapish 700C wheels for sale ? MUST take inner tubes !!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you had tubs, you'd take an old spare... I used to use tubs for TT'ing - only ever had 1 puncture, and I ran 18-20mm high performance tubs - lurvely..they would sing at 140 PSI....

Advantage is that they were faster, more comfy and less prone to pinch flats....I say were, as current high performance clinchers aren't that far behind.

28mm is a fair bit wider, but will fit an old frame - or should do if you have clearance.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
If you had tubs, you'd take an old spare... I used to use tubs for TT'ing - only ever had 1 puncture, and I ran 18-20mm high performance tubs - lurvely..they would sing at 140 PSI....

Advantage is that they were faster, more comfy and less prone to pinch flats....I say were, as current high performance clinchers aren't that far behind.

28mm is a fair bit wider, but will fit an old frame - or should do if you have clearance.

18 - 20mm and more comfy !!!

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply fossyant !!!

Top Bottom