Another US trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi

Again, not really touring, but an adventure anyway.

I was in Charlotte last year for 3 weeks: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/charlotte-nc.205440/ and this time I'm in Dallas for 4. It's quite built up so I don't think I'll be buying a bike but I'm going to try and visit Portland for a weekend! I work for the airline so the internal flights are free.

Does anyone have any recommendations or contacts for Portland? I was thinking I'd try find a cheap hotel for a couple of nights, hire a bike, try have a leisurely ride out with an urban club. I don't have any equipment with me this time but I do have lycra shorts, sporty T-shirts and trainers.

Thx, A

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I can't speak from first person knowledge, but Portland has a reputation as being both rainy and also a bike mecca.

More seriously, your favourite search engine is your friend. I would have thought there is a good range of rides around/near Dallas, especially if you like hills or MTBing. It is not known as Mile High city for nothing.
Or try this.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Thanks. Yes, apparently there are bike trails at Grapevine lake, only a mile or so from my hotel. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to drive to the trail head; there isn't even a footpath. A two lane single carriageway with armco either side.

They fundamentally don't get it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks. Yes, apparently there are bike trails at Grapevine lake, only a mile or so from my hotel. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to drive to the trail head; there isn't even a footpath. A two lane single carriageway with armco either side.

They fundamentally don't get it.
It's certainly a country built around the motor car... i was surprised how little pavement there was on my last visit, even in the town when the shops stop, so does the pavement. They really don't want people to walk anywhere, and with too many roads flanked with drainage ditches, cycling isn't ideal either (unless its a dedicated trail).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
We mostly ride on secondary rural roads in these parts, works out pretty well, And a goodly bit of mountain biking. It rather depends on where you are in the U.S, you may find more cycling friendly infrastructure in the East, Midwest, and Northwest, esp. Portland and Seattle, from what I hear.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In my town, we also have 36 miles of trail, running through neighborhoods, so I have to ride about a block, and I'm on the trail.
http://www.constitutiontrail.org/index.html

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ozjnKZdKM

But this is in the Midwest.
Your results may vary.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well, definitely going! Got a bunk bed in a cycling hostel and a hire bike booked.

Weather is going to be rubbish...

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
DSC_0973.JPG

Top Bottom