Charlotte, NC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hello

Not sure if this is the right section in which to post, but...

I'm off to Charlotte next month for three weeks (a training course for my work) and I was hoping to either buy or hire a bike for the whole time I'm there.

The one shop that seems to have decent bikes want $130 for three days, so I was thinking I'd buy or try to borrow one. If I could find one locally for cheap, I'd be happy to give it away when I leave, or maybe someone could lend me one while I'm there.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I'd find one, or make the relevant contacts?

Many thanks, Andy

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A mate of mine was going to Texas. He bought a bike on eBay and picked it up when he arrived. I thought it was a risky thing to do but he got a bargain!

Brandane

Legendary Member
A few years ago on a holiday to Florida, I got lucky by popping in to Orange Cycles, Orlando. They sell a limited range of used bikes and had a Specialized Sirrus in very good condition and the right size for $200.

I used it for two weeks and considered bringing it home, but instead took it back to the shop on my last day to see if they would buy it back. They did, for $100. So I got 2 weeks bike hire for $100 and the shop got $100 on the deal. Win/win.

Might be worth checking out LBS's on line before you go?

Edit... I wonder if they ever noticed that I swapped the brake cables over at the levers to make them the right way round (couldn't get used to the front brake being at my left hand!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
A few years ago on a holiday to Florida, I got lucky by popping in to Orange Cycles, Orlando. They sell a limited range of used bikes and had a Specialized Sirrus in very good condition and the right size for $200.

I used it for two weeks and considered bringing it home, but instead took it back to the shop on my last day to see if they would buy it back. They did, for $100. So I got 2 weeks bike hire for $100 and the shop got $100 on the deal. Win/win.

Might be worth checking out LBS's on line before you go?

I had thought of that option! Like you say it's win/win.

Also, there's a huge Dick's sports store near the hotel (similar to Decathlon Sports); they sell a Nishiki hybrid for $249... I could maybe sell it to someone on the course after I leave.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
huge Dick's sports store.
Tee hee!

Yes, I mentioned to a colleague where I was going and that I intended to buy a bike.

'Massive Dicks!'

'Eh?'

'Massive Dicks! There's a massive Dick's Sports Store near the hotel!'

:rolleyes: We never grow up. :tongue:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm hoping there are some good sporting goods stores in Charlotte, not just the Massive Dicks.
Try this.
http://bicyclesport.com
Most Dicks seem to have a bunch of bikes for sale, Diamondback and such, revived brand names, but very little in the way of accessories and service that make a bike shop really truly good. Fitting? That would just garner you some dumb looks and head scratching.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm hoping there are some good sporting goods stores in Charlotte, not just the Massive Dicks.
Try this.
http://bicyclesport.com
Most Dicks seem to have a bunch of bikes for sale, Diamondback and such, revived brand names, but very little in the way of accessories and service that make a bike shop really truly good. Fitting? That would just garner you some dumb looks and head scratching.

Thx GA; tbh, I won't really be in the market for anything good, just a fairly basic hybrid, fitness or singlespeed bike for cheap.

I know I'll have the option to sell back to a 'proper' bike shop, but do I really want to risk getting attached to anything decent? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Actually, if you can't go to the US and want to buy something, then buy it, you can't buy something anywhere! I know what I mean. :blush:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Brilliant! Loads of choice here; might be the best option if I can get someone to deliver to my hotel.

Thx GA!
Yes, although sometimes Craigslist transactions , in larger cities, take place in the police station parking lot. Although any public place affords some security, and will likely be okay. Many sellers offer delivery, especially remote ones. And it seems like everyone gets rid of a hybrid, sooner or later. They either jump up to a road bike, or off to a mountain bike. Hybrids are the poor stepson of Craigslist.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I got frustrated with Craigslist; I'd almost sorted a bike and now he's gone quiet. Three days into trip and still no bike!

Anyway, I've ordered one from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow or Friday...

Top Bottom