Charlotte, NC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Actually I think it was an excellent suggestion. I've bought 3 bikes, all at bargain prices. Most recently got a Gary Fisher Marlin mtb (like new, as in, really like brand new and never ridden!).

But the negative is that some people won't get back to you, are unclear, don't accurately describe items, etc. While you can get a bargain, its also definitely an idea to have a backup plan (sounds like the OP did) as craigslist dealing can be notoriously unreliable.

Sorry to hear that. I regret recommending Craigslist. Hope it has not spoiled things too much.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Actually I think it was an excellent suggestion. I've bought 3 bikes, all at bargain prices. Most recently got a Gary Fisher Marlin mtb (like new, as in, really like brand new and never ridden!).

But the negative is that some people won't get back to you, are unclear, don't accurately describe items, etc. While you can get a bargain, its also definitely an idea to have a backup plan (sounds like the OP did) as craigslist dealing can be notoriously unreliable.
Yes, I nag a lot, set an immediate meeting, and don't let someone make a higher offer. When I bought the Puch last year, I was in Peoria within the hour. My riding mower was called, viewed and bought before an hour was out, because Ariens/Gravelys don't last long around here. I have called within 15 minutes of a Brooks saddle posting, and missed it.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings

Yes, I agree, it was an excellent suggestion. He went quiet when I made an initial offer to get things moving; never replied after that.

It makes me wonder how people sell stuff when they take any lower offer as a personal affront! He'd already told me that a couple had viewed but not bought it...

Anyway, I should receive my parcel tomorrow. You never know exactly what you'll get, mail order, but it gets good reviews for the money.

e-rider

crappy member
Hello

Not sure if this is the right section in which to post, but...

I'm off to Charlotte next month for three weeks (a training course for my work) and I was hoping to either buy or hire a bike for the whole time I'm there.

The one shop that seems to have decent bikes want $130 for three days, so I was thinking I'd buy or try to borrow one. If I could find one locally for cheap, I'd be happy to give it away when I leave, or maybe someone could lend me one while I'm there.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I'd find one, or make the relevant contacts?

Many thanks, Andy
you don't want to pay $130 for a decent hire bike, but are willing to pay slightly more to ride about on a crap secondhand bike for 3 days that you will give away afterwards? you really do need that training course!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
you don't want to pay $130 for a decent hire bike, but are willing to pay slightly more to ride about on a crap secondhand bike for 3 days that you will give away afterwards? do really do need that training course!
00U0U_b7j5HRsqEVm_600x450.jpg
00000_ikSERWTsu6Z_300x300.jpg
00F0F_kr425xPrs6i_300x300.jpg
00Y0Y_6zg8xhlB80T_300x300.jpg
00000_7eQSFvcNHyl_300x300.jpg

Here's a little gallery of a few used bicycles offered for sale in my area, I think both the black British 3 speeds are Triumphs, the blue one at bottom is a Kona. The one with all the seat post is a Miyata 210 . All are 150 dollars or less.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That's definitely been my sort of experience with Craigslist. Buying, good stuff in demand goes within hours. And its not unusual to get no response from the seller, even if the ad is still up (I think there are plenty of people who might sell something but then can't be bothered to take the ad down or respond that it's sold.) I might be old fashioned but I'm of the opinion common courtesy seems to have gone out of the window!

On the selling side, it's similar. I've sold quite a few things, but if I had a dollar for every time I've received an email saying "I'm definitely interested!" or "I'll buy it!" and then you don't hear anything back, I'd be very wealthy...... Whatever the transaction -buying or selling - I always make sure to ask for a confirmation email/text/phone call about 30 mins before meeting up to make sure the buyer or seller is actually serious. Sadly, I take every communication with a huge grain of salt and try to cover myself -you'd waste too much time otherwise!

On the positive side, the reason I persist is that I know you can get bargains and get rid of some unwanted stuff without messing around with ebay fees and shipping. I bought my current car 9 years ago for a bargain price (I think I had the good fortune to go and see it in a thunderstorm when others were less willing to do so, and with a bargain, first there wins), bought some quality bikes for crazy prices and recently have sold some stuff to fund a new fork on my mtb.

Yes, I nag a lot, set an immediate meeting, and don't let someone make a higher offer. When I bought the Puch last year, I was in Peoria within the hour. My riding mower was called, viewed and bought before an hour was out, because Ariens/Gravelys don't last long around here. I have called within 15 minutes of a Brooks saddle posting, and missed it.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
On the other hand, he or she is visiting and is now getting a bike delivered to where they are staying. And for just tootling around, I'm sure it will be fine. No need to worry about i. finding a convenient bike rental place (note: rental bikes aren't necessarily decent either), or ii. returning the bike (or being slightly apprehensive about what happens if it gets stolen). Add in the fact the rental fees will be close to the purchase cost and they may even recoup some of the cost.... doesn't sound like a bad idea to me!

you don't want to pay $130 for a decent hire bike, but are willing to pay slightly more to ride about on a crap secondhand bike for 3 days that you will give away afterwards? do really do need that training course!

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Yes, it was $130 for three days as opposed to $250 dollars to keep. I'm here for three weeks; there now only two weeks left but two full weekends, so it seems like a good plan.
Also, if I like the bike I might keep it. The one I've ordered sounds good for the money, very light and stiff. I don't have anything like that at home. I mean, the Cannondale is, but it's a bit too serious and grown up.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Well, it was a good plan, but I still don't have a bike! :rolleyes:

I got the two day shipping cost refunded, but I've missed a Saturday cycling. Remember when 'guarantee' wasn't just a word?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oh no! That is just bad.... sorry to hear, best laid plans and all that. I hope you get it soon and are on your bike!

Well, it was a good plan, but I still don't have a bike! :rolleyes:

I got the two day shipping cost refunded, but I've missed a Saturday cycling. Remember when 'guarantee' wasn't just a word?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looks to be a fine machine.
Enjoy your ride this weekend.
If you hear banjos, don't stop.
Keep away from the protests,
I hear tear gas is bad for your overall average speed.

Top Bottom