Another 'what wheels' thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GravityFighter

Über Member
Looking to upgrade the standard Axis wheel that came with my Specialized Tarmac ahead of Spring.

I live in the flatlands towards East Yorkshire, but will be doing some hilly sportives. I think I'd value the reliability of alloy track braking over deep section carbon. I'm riding 3,000 miles a year max and won't do justice to something really high-end, plus I'd like to keep the price sub-£500.

Current shortlist:

Cero AR30 Evo - good press, a couple of guys in the club like Cero's carbon offerings
Mavic Ksyrium Elite or Pro 2017 (non tubeless) - everyone's default option, but that has to be for a reason!
Mavic's 2018 Ksyrium offerings which are now tubeless - might push the budget a bit, but is tubeless worth it?

Worth mentioning I love the S-Works tyres that came as stock with my Tarmac. I look after my kit and am yet to suffer a p*nct*re on them (there, I've done it now!)

Any advice or real-world experience welcomed. Cheers!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son uses the Mavic Ksyrium Exalith's and really rates them in races, but they're probably at the top end+ of your price point.

I'd suggest avoiding the Elite version though, they weren't anywhere near as good.

Alternatively to those above I run Veltec Speed wheels which roll well and are half price here at £524: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/access...=eb81695688f53a554861db118cd930d9&fo_s=gplauk

Last edited:
Top Bottom