Another wheel question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

I have Giant SCR 2, love the bike but would like to upgrade the wheels from the standard Alex items, my budget would be up to £120. I have seen theVuelta Zerolite complete with tyres and tubes for £90.00. Would this be a reasonable upgrade or should I look at a pair of level entry Marvic or Shimano wheels. Also is it as simple as just changing the wheel or will I need to adjust the gears to account for the new wheel.
Any advice gratefully received!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If you actually want to 'upgrade' rather than just 'change' your wheels you should really consider a pair of hand built wheels at that price point. In fact until you spend over 500 quid, a pair of handbuilts will probably always be 'stronger / lighter / more durable / and easier to re-rim.

32 spole Open Pro rims on the best groupset hub your budget allows shod with Mich Pro Race tyres are hard to beat.

However, the problem is even very expensive handbuilts (PMP hubs / CX Rays etc) don't look anymore 'bling' than cheap ones. Hence the explosion of 'factory built' ones around where even the heavy, flimsy cheap ones look expensive.

So I would call Paul Hewitt and Pete Mathews, etc, and see what your budget will buy in hand builts and then let vanity lead you elsewhere if that's what you want.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't get hung up about weight - I see too many folk do that - if you can get a set of handbuilt wheels for your budget then go for them - I'm a long time user of handbuilts, but guess what, my current two road wheel sets are factory - Aksiums and low level Kysriums - both pretty tough and light enough for me, and have stayed true - I'm not a light weight rider - just over 12 st and pack a punch and ride my bikes hard.

Tyres will make a massive effect upon how the bike feels - switch to Michelin Pro Race 2's for about £18 each - 23mm and you'll think you have a new bike !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
fossyant said:
Don't get hung up about weight - I see too many folk do that - if you can get a set of handbuilt wheels for your budget then go for them - I'm a long time user of handbuilts, but guess what, my current two road wheel sets are factory - Aksiums and low level Kysriums - both pretty tough and light enough for me, and have stayed true - I'm not a light weight rider - just over 12 st and pack a punch and ride my bikes hard.

Tyres will make a massive effect upon how the bike feels - switch to Michelin Pro Race 2's for about £18 each - 23mm and you'll think you have a new bike !

This is a good suggestion. There may be a slight penalty of reduced P*ncture protection, but they'll make the bike feel much sprightlier and will roll faster.
Parker International are usually keenly priced for PR2's.
Try that first, then save a bit more cash for wheels, an earlietr thread on the subject found some nice Eastons for a good price. Shimano wheels are usually well regarded as are Aksiums (which are heavier then they look). Might be an idea to weigh your current wheels to gauge any advantage.

doyler78

Been looking at road bikes myself however whilst looking I spotted that Planet X seem to do some really light wheels when you compare them to others for the same price point. As I have no experience of using them I can't advise as to how good they are though when I asked the question about how good they were there were no negative comments.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Road_279.html

Model C's at 1685gm for £125 or Model B's for £150 @ 1570gm.

Just a thought if you really want to change the wheels.

As for the Pro2 Race which I do use all I can say is that I am very impressed with them and they have made a noticeable difference in my speed.

Top Bottom