Another wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Million dollar question!!! Are there any real tangiable benefits to be had changing my standard stock wheels (Alex AS14 rims with specialized hubs) for mavic Aksiums or fulcrum racing 7. Apart from the looking nicer point of view. I use the bike for fitness and enjoyment I do not race and the bike isn't necessarily the lightest machine around.

lloyed

Regular
Changed from standard wheels on giant ocr 3. To falcum race 5, made it feel like a different bike. I would say its the best thing you could do. Well worth £180 upgrade!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If the spokes on your existing wheels are well tensioned, which is primarily a build/maintenance issue, then the main benefit of a lighter set of wheels is that you may find the bike becoming quite a bit more lively due to reduction in wheel inertia.

However I suspect there is more improvement in wheel inertia by swapping the original Sirrus 700x32c tyres/tubes with a set of light high pressure racing tyres than changing wheels to a pair of Racing 7. Ultremo R1 or Conti 4000 700x23c both at c200g each are discounted at Planet X currently, plus a pair of sub 100g tubes (if existing tubes are significantly heavier which they might be) will take at least 150g off each wheel at the location that really counts, allowing you to run higher pressure, and at a small fraction of the cost of a new pair of wheels. You can then see whether you like the difference they make, and they will not be wasted if you do want to go the whole hog and get better wheels anyway.

Good luck!

avsd

Guru
If the spokes on your existing wheels are well tensioned, which is primarily a build/maintenance issue, then the main benefit of a lighter set of wheels is that you may find the bike becoming quite a bit more lively due to reduction in wheel inertia.

However I suspect there is more improvement in wheel inertia by swapping the original Sirrus 700x32c tyres/tubes with a set of light high pressure racing tyres than changing wheels to a pair of Racing 7. Ultremo R1 or Conti 4000 700x23c both at c200g each are discounted at Planet X currently, plus a pair of sub 100g tubes (if existing tubes are significantly heavier which they might be) will take at least 150g off each wheel at the location that really counts, allowing you to run higher pressure, and at a small fraction of the cost of a new pair of wheels. You can then see whether you like the difference they make, and they will not be wasted if you do want to go the whole hog and get better wheels anyway.

Good luck!

Great advice which I plan to follow on my own bike. Thanks

Top Bottom