Another whisky recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
'Orrible, nasty, vile stuff.
Only ever tried it once and poured mine down the sink.
I am a Yorkshireman,i WILL finish it,going to put a bit in a coffee very soon.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of whiskies I'd not tried previously

Deanston: a new (I think) Lowland distillery a little north of Stirling.

Went for their "virgin oak" no-age-statement for a very good value £26. Bottled at a respectably 46% and non chill filtered. Really rather good, particularly at such a reasonable price. They do a 12 year old as well which is also very good for an extra tenner, though I only tried a glass in the pub.

And after a tasting session at Stirling's distillery - only doing gin as yet, and not yet actually making any sort of spirit, bought a bottle of "Cashly". This is an independent single cask highland whisky from an unspecified distillery. 50% ABV and 14 year old so quite reasonable £55 or thereabouts. The range were named after various now defunct distileries near Stirling. Rather good !
We got four different indie bottled drams to taste. One I didn't like at all, another I didn't like at first but it grew on me after adding a bit of water and was rather intriguing - but not £80 worth of intriguing, but sadly the fourth one wasn't for sale as they were down to a couple of bottles which were earmarked for their tasting sessions. This was a peaty Islay like Speyside. I would have had a bottle of that too (price permitting)
0CBC9BE8-9645-4E65-8644-CB6C82CA310A.jpeg

0CBC9BE8-9645-4E65-8644-CB6C82CA310A.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Couple of whiskies I'd not tried previously

Deanston: a new (I think) Lowland distillery a little north of Stirling.

Went for their "virgin oak" no-age-statement for a very good value £26. Bottled at a respectably 46% and non chill filtered. Really rather good, particularly at such a reasonable price. They do a 12 year old as well which is also very good for an extra tenner, though I only tried a glass in the pub.

And after a tasting session at Stirling's distillery - only doing gin as yet, and not yet actually making any sort of spirit, bought a bottle of "Cashly". This is an independent single cask highland whisky from an unspecified distillery. 50% ABV and 14 year old so quite reasonable £55 or thereabouts. The range were named after various now defunct distileries near Stirling. Rather good !
We got four different indie bottled drams to taste. One I didn't like at all, another I didn't like at first but it grew on me after adding a bit of water and was rather intriguing - but not £80 worth of intriguing, but sadly the fourth one wasn't for sale as they were down to a couple of bottles which were earmarked for their tasting sessions. This was a peaty Islay like Speyside. I would have had a bottle of that too (price permitting)
View attachment 679747

I respectfully think you've had enough sir.
Exhibit A: Deanston say "Highland" on the bottle, so possibly not a Lowland whisky?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I respectfully think you've had enough sir.
Exhibit A: Deanston say "Highland" on the bottle, so possibly not a Lowland whisky?

Evidently "the highlands" start a bit further south than I'd thought. Stirling isn't in "the highlands" and I'd assumed Deanston, a few miles further north too, so I guess the border is in between

Top Bottom