Another whisky recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Or pour it down the sink.....vile stuff xx(
I think the taste has altered over the years. My old Managing Director, Duncan G.Thomas known in the trade as the Mad American described it as like old smelly socks steeped in disinfectant. That taste is much less pronounced nowadays.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Can I whisper White and Mackay triple blended whisky.Very smooth and nice with lemonade or a dash of water,it will not burn stomach or wallet.
Lemonade? You will burn in h--l.:stop:

mustang1

Guru
Now put the bottle down and please leave the shop before you get caught.
This reminds me when I was at, uhm, a popular eating chain of shops in the city, and this guy walked in, got a pot of soup, opened the lid, drank some of it, closed the pot and out it back on the shelf. He then done this with a few other pots and walked out of the shop.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you must drink Scotch whisky I do like the 12 year old Jura.

Mrs PP likes the 10 so I'd be interested in your "tasting notes" assuming you've tried both. The 12 is still sensible money albeit slightly dearer than the 10.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It goes like this:
''A bottle of Lagavulin, please.''
''How much?''
''I'll take a bottle of Laffroy-ig.''

I always thought the Lagavoulin was rather good value, albeit not cheap, at sub fifty notes given it's (a) 16 years old which entails extra cost to produce, and (b) it's delicious (assuming you like Islay smoky whisky). On that basis I always had a bottle on my top shelf, but last replacement time it seemed to have shot up to a whopping seventy quid. Mmm, whilst perhaps it's still worth it, but maybe not a casual purchase anymore. Anyhow a few months later it was back to £47 or whatever in Waitrose, so I bought two. Still one of my very favourites.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It goes like this:
''A bottle of Lagavulin, please.''
''How much?''
''I'll take a bottle of Laffroy-ig.''

I'd favour compromise there. I'd not want to be without a bottle of each on my top shelf. Don't buy the Laphroig "select" as it's not very nice, albeit I did manage to drink it eventually. The 10 is only a little bit dearer and remains superb, at least if you like smoky whiskies at any rate. On one occasion bizarrely the 10 was cheaper than the select and was a real bargain, albeit might have been a mix up, but I took advantage of it

tyred

Legendary Member
Mrs PP likes the 10 so I'd be interested in your "tasting notes" assuming you've tried both. The 12 is still sensible money albeit slightly dearer than the 10.
I have never sampled the 10 so cannot comment.

I'm not sure I feel qualified to really write tasting notes!

Top Bottom