Answered - Tubeless Tyre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

Guys...
I'm shortly going tubeless on my Trek MTB...
I've got everything to do this, but one question... Should I, or do I need to also buy a tubeless tyre repair kit?

Cheers,
G.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Depends what you mean by tubeless repair kit.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Based on road experience and accepting mtb use is different, you are going to need to be able to repair a hole that doesn’t seal at some point. Unless you are just riding short trails and can handle the risk of a walk I’d look at buying a kit and working out how to use it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
do I need to also buy a tubeless tyre repair kit?
Perhaps just carry a spare tube, on the rides where the hazard and consequence of a non-sealing puncture is above your threshold. In the unhappy event, that will be so much quicker, assured and easier (and less expensive).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Guys...
I've got everything to do this, but one question... Should I, or do I need to also buy a tubeless tyre repair kit?

Cheers,
G.

I would say yes, 100% as inserting a tube in a tubeless tyre can be very hard work. I use a Dynaplug kit which will allow one to fix a non-sealing hole, damage etc. in 5 minutes, 10 at the most. I do still carry a tube but can't imagine the need to use it.

Once a plug is inserted in my experience the repair is permanent.

Guys...

Cheers,
G.
You need plugs to seal bigger holes where it is too much for the sealant to cover. A spare tube just in case it is a linear gash. Drop the pressure to 85 psi. Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

I would say yes, 100% as inserting a tube in a tubeless tyre can be very hard work. I use a Dynaplug kit which will allow one to fix a non-sealing hole, damage etc. in 5 minutes, 10 at the most. I do still carry a tube but can't imagine the need to use it.

Once a plug is inserted in my experience the repair is permanent.
Excellent, just the answer I was looking for .... thanks for all your comments guys... :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Say guys - what happens with a fairly longish gash that a spare tube would poke out of? And isn't it a messy job fitting a spare tube with all that gunk in there?

Just my ignorance showing - TIA

My MO for the former is to carry a reasonable piece of offcut outer tyre to fit in the damaged outer to support the tube when blown up. Is that the answer for tubeless too? :scratch:

Top Bottom