Anti-puncture gel, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mitford

Impressive Member
I saw it on the new cycle prog on TV. I've got those puncture-resistant Gatorskin tyres on now, is it worth getting some of this gel as well and is there a downside?

It makes the wheels heavier to spin and slows you down. Gatorskins are good, you probably won't need gel as well.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Agree with CopperCyclist above. I run on Gatorskins at the moment and I would say that keeping the tyre inflated to the correct pressure and checking weekly for flints etc is more worthwhile than filling the tube with hevier gel.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't waste your money.
Look after your tyres. Inflate to the correct pressure. Check the tyres before, during and after a ride for any tiny bit's of flint, glass or stone that are stuck in the tyre and dig them out. Especially during/after wet weather.
Get into the habit. It doesn't take long to check.
It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

2old2care

Über Member
I use both tyre sealant and Gatorskins during the winter whilst commuting, especially at night. Belt and braces you know, besides the extra weight is good strength training.:angel:

DRHysted

Guru
I've been running slim inner tubes for the last couple of months, and the last week I've been glad. On one ride alone I got six puntures which all sealed themselves. I've had at least two per ride until tonight, and I check the tyres after every journey, and keep a watch on the road for debris.

screenman

Legendary Member
To answer the OP yes it does work and well. If and when you go tubeless like us you will see how well it works.

Top Bottom