Antibiotics and Alcohol... is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Over the years I heard many a person say that if you're on antibiotics, you must avoid alcohol otherwise the antibiotics won't work.

However, the last time i was put on antibiotics (for a minor skin condition)... the Doc made no mention of avoiding alcohol.

And this week, having another course of strong antibiotics... no mention of alcohol by the Docs and nothing about alcohol in the advice sheets for the ones I'm on.

So... is not mixing antibiotics and alcohol just an urban myth, or is it only certain types of antibiotics that I'm yet to encounter?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Don't try it and find out eh

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Have a look at the paper that comes with the medication. That will let you know of things to avoid, side effects, stuff like that.
... this week, having another course of strong antibiotics... no mention of alcohol by the Docs and nothing about alcohol in the advice sheets ...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Pal had an injury of some kind and was on a high dose of antibiotics and was told by medics to cut out alcohol while taking them.
I got “ bitten” on the back of my leg by the pedal of my Brompton as it toppled over and got me unawares. After a few days I thought it advisably to get medical advice and was immediately given a very high dose of antibiotic. No mention of alcohol avoidance.

classic33

Leg End Member
Quick check shows that alcohol can make any side effects of the antibiotics worse, due it seems to the side effects of both being similar.

Drinking in moderation seems to be okay.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@MontyVeda apols for not reading your post properly.

"Antibiotics" aren't a single drug, there are all kinds of antibiotics that act by different mechanisms, and have different interactions with other drugs. So it could be that the particular drug you are taking doesn't interact with alcohol.

However, I'd check with the doc before taking alcohol. If there's something wrong with you booze will not do it any good and may well make it worse.

Surely it's different for different drugs ?

Mate of mine did drink on antibiotics and pooed himself but who knows how much was drink and how much antibiotics.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Just for a point of clarity... i'm not planning on getting pi$$ed tonight... just curious about the antibiotics vs alcohol thing since both times i've been given them, there's been no mention of avoiding alcohol, yet the general 'bloke on the street' advice is to avoid it like the plague.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Being young and stupid in the eighties I was put on antibiotics this time of year and went out on the lash nye- lasted until about 8pm before I turned an amazing crimson colour and had to retire with heart going mad - don’t know if it was mixing the 2 but haven’t done it since - no idea what the antibiotics were

classic33

Leg End Member
Just for a point of clarity... i'm not planning on getting pi$$ed tonight... just curious about the antibiotics vs alcohol thing since both times i've been given them, there's been no mention of avoiding alcohol, yet the general 'bloke on the street' advice is to avoid it like the plague.
That seems to be a common message for any medication. Two seperate lots being taken carry the same warning. Similar warnings* on the other 31 taken.

* Alcohol can increase the side effects of the medication.

I'll bow to the better qualified advice given below.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
According to my other half (registered pharmacy technician) there are two families of antibiotic that you should NOT drink alcohol with, but it's more because it'll likely make you feel extermely nauseous rather than it causing them to not work properly - these are metronidazole and tinidazole. There are also two others where it is recommended you don't drink too much while taking as those *may* be affected by alcohol (she says that with the disclaimer that current studies are not 100% sure that this is the case) - which are linezolid and doxycycline.

Everything else should not be affected, although it is still recommend only to drink in moderation of course... :tongue:

Top Bottom