Antibiotics and Alcohol... is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The myth came about from the British military in Singapore etc. However, my explanation may also be apocryphal, but here goes...
Soldiers picking up the then-easily-treatable clap were prescribed penicillin. They were told not to drink because it affected the drugs, but in reality, they were being told not to drink in the probably vain hope that they'd not end up with yet more clap...
As stated above, some of the more unusual antibiotics DO react badly with alcohol, but they greatly post-date the original reason/myth.

midlife

Guru
Aside from metronidazole / antabuse etc Antibiotics usually excreted via urine, drinking lots of beer increases urinary output and so the antibiotic goes down the loo. There's a drug that reduces the effect, probenecid iirc from many years ago.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The myth came about from the British military in Singapore etc.
That sounds like one of those mythical stories that Snopes is debunked on Snopes and other sites. Like "did you know Cheese is actually an acronym of ...".

As noted above, some antibiotics interact with alcohol, some don't. Read the data sheet and if in doubt ask your GP.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The myth came about from the British military in Singapore etc. However, my explanation may also be apocryphal, but here goes...
Soldiers picking up the then-easily-treatable clap were prescribed penicillin. They were told not to drink because it affected the drugs, but in reality, they were being told not to drink in the probably vain hope that they'd not end up with yet more clap...
As stated above, some of the more unusual antibiotics DO react badly with alcohol, but they greatly post-date the original reason/myth.
Correct.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Over the years I heard many a person say that if you're on antibiotics, you must avoid alcohol otherwise the antibiotics won't work.

However, the last time i was put on antibiotics (for a minor skin condition)... the Doc made no mention of avoiding alcohol.

And this week, having another course of strong antibiotics... no mention of alcohol by the Docs and nothing about alcohol in the advice sheets for the ones I'm on.

So... is not mixing antibiotics and alcohol just an urban myth, or is it only certain types of antibiotics that I'm yet to encounter?

It certainly is not a myth. A pal of mine was prescribed a certain antibiotic for an eye infection and was told not to drink alcohol. A few days or a week later the infection had more or less gone and he forgot the advice and had a half with his lunch end ended up as high as a kite as it was a very bad combination. He was a guy who did enjoy a drink but he did without till he was finished with the pills. This may or may not apply to every antibiotic and I half recall with some antibiotics alcohol may make them ineffective, but from my mate's experience, the ones he took disagreed badly with alcohol.

PK99

Legendary Member
I was banned from alcohol for 10 days while taking antibiotics for a dental imfection

Metronidazole is a nitroimidazole antibiotic that doctors prescribe to treat abdominal infections, sexually transmitted infections, and other anaerobic bacteria-related infections.

Metronidazole affects the function of a key enzyme that helps the body digest alcohol
. When metronidazole inhibits the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase, the levels of acetaldehyde accumulate in the blood. This causes the toxic effects of alcohol.

Mixing alcohol with metronidazole may cause:

• abdominal cramping
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • headaches
  • facial flushing
People should avoid drinking alcohol during treatment and for up to 3 days after the last dose.

Despite this interaction, not everyone will experience these reactions when drinking while taking metronidazole. An individual risk is possible. Still, people should avoid drinking alcohol while taking metronidazole.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hopefully @MontyVeda is recovered now from the infection after over a month :smile:
I have thanks but this thread was unrelated to that :smile:

Many years ago I had a bad tooth and the dentist gave me a prescription for some antibiotics
He told me that normally ABs and alcohol are OK
BUT DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL when taking these ones!!!

I checked with the pharmacist and he said the same thing -

I have also checked with a GP

basically - it depends on the AB - but if they say do not drink
don't drink

vickster

Legendary Member
I have thanks but this thread was unrelated to that :smile:
Except in your first post you said... And this week, having another course of strong antibiotics... no mention of alcohol by the Docs and nothing about alcohol in the advice sheets for the ones I'm on.:okay:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Except in your first post you said... And this week, having another course of strong antibiotics... no mention of alcohol by the Docs and nothing about alcohol in the advice sheets for the ones I'm on.:okay:
Which raised a point of interest... is the antibiotics/alcohol thing a myth :smile:

...i wasn't trying to find out of i could ignore the advice (as some presumed). :rolleyes:

vickster

Legendary Member
Many years ago I had a bad tooth and the dentist gave me a prescription for some antibiotics
He told me that normally ABs and alcohol are OK
BUT DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL when taking these ones!!!

I checked with the pharmacist and he said the same thing -

I have also checked with a GP

basically - it depends on the AB - but if they say do not drink
don't drink
That would apply to each and every medication that says do not drink in the PiL/on the packet (if it says 'avoid alcohol' that would be a sensible course of action too)

Top Bottom