Antibiotics and Alcohol... is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
i think we worked that out by post #11 ;)
Indeed, but thread got bumped after a month of sleep :laugh:

presta

Guru
I was banned from alcohol for 10 days while taking antibiotics for a dental imfection

Metronidazole is a nitroimidazole antibiotic that doctors prescribe to treat abdominal infections, sexually transmitted infections, and other anaerobic bacteria-related infections.

Metronidazole affects the function of a key enzyme that helps the body digest alcohol
. When metronidazole inhibits the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase, the levels of acetaldehyde accumulate in the blood. This causes the toxic effects of alcohol.

Mixing alcohol with metronidazole may cause:

• abdominal cramping
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • headaches
  • facial flushing
People should avoid drinking alcohol during treatment and for up to 3 days after the last dose.

Despite this interaction, not everyone will experience these reactions when drinking while taking metronidazole. An individual risk is possible. Still, people should avoid drinking alcohol while taking metronidazole.
I took metronidazole after bowel surgery nine years ago, and was warned against drinking alcohol. I had some surreal dreams whilst I was on that stuff which were quite good fun, but another side effect was a mouth that tasted like it was full of rotting teeth.

PK99

Legendary Member
no, it's not as this thread has shown :whistle:

The idea that Antibiotics = no alcohol is a myth.

Some antibiotics = no alcohol is correct. Primarily those dealing with anaerobic infections (chiefly teeth and gums, intestines and ladies plumbing)

I take regular (3/7) prophylactic azithromycin with no restrictions, and have a rescue pack of Moxifloxacin (a heavy-duty AB) for which the guidance is "not to excess"

Top Bottom