Any civil engineers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've just been having lunch with a friend and she mentioned that her son (not sure of age, early teens I think) is thinking he'd like to be a civil engineer, and might want to do some work experience. She doesn't know any civil engineers, and was asking if we did... Does anyone here fit that category, and have any advice about work experience possibilites? I don't think he's looked into it seriously yet, but I thought if anyone had any tips/suggestions...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Best writing off for experience. One of my friends got some experience at Mott MacDonald and they were very good to him. He also had a fantastic time on his year sandwich year in the middle of his meng working on one very famous building that never got built. He's had health problems and yet at times the companies were still keen to employ him (as should be the case).

Civil's the only game in town I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Best writing off for experience. One of my friends got some experience at Mott MacDonald and they were very good to him. He also had a fantastic time on his year sandwich year in the middle of his meng working on one very famous building that never got built. He's had health problems and yet at times the companies were still keen to employ him (as should be the case).

Civil's the only game in town I'm afraid.

Cheers. A very famous building that never got built? Ooh, we're all trying to guess now.... Was it the Bonj Museum of What's Right in Cycling?:laugh:

marinyork

Wembley :laugh:. The second lot of plans got built (after much revising and arguing). Civil's good because if your friend's son got bored after undergrad civil, places like the city used to hoover up disillusioned civil engineers (not that it's a particularly good time to mention that right now and if they were so inclined - not that I'm advocating that path). They don't seem too bothered what type of undergrad you are or how much experience by all accounts. Sadly I cannot say the same for other types of engineering.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
oxbob said:
No, it's the museum of obselete cycle part's, full of mudguard's

Ah, is it the building next to the Old Bonded Warehouse for Extraneous Apostrophes?:laugh:

I'll pass on the good news about Civil Engineering being a good bet... And hope he hasn't changed his mind in a week...

Maz

Guru
It might be worth the mother or son contacting the school directly about it. All 15+ year olds need to do a few weeks work experience and they may have set up work experience to someone in civil engineering in the past. Worth a shout.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
yeah. If I know this friend, I suspect she's probably got all the right ideas, but just wanted any extra tips. She's even closer to her PhD deadline than me, so she's a bit distracted....

marinyork

Arch, do you have any friends at other engineering universities? They'd be able to help with other companies. You could even get ideas from a list of companies used for sandwich courses. I know although there are 3 big funded dept's in York it's really an artsy university but other places aren't.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Arch, do you have any friends at other engineering universities? They'd be able to help with other companies. You could even get ideas from a list of companies used for sandwich courses. I know although there are 3 big funded dept's in York it's really an artsy university but other places aren't.

An artsy university! How very dare you... Signed, Arch: BSc, Msc...:laugh:

marinyork

Arch said:
An artsy university! How very dare you... Signed, Arch: BSc, Msc...:laugh:

I thought you had two undergrad degrees :biggrin:. My point is some of the large city redbricks have superlarge engineering departments. The guy I know from down the road is Emeritus sadly but someone somewhere should be able to help.

Top Bottom