Any civil engineers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm sure you won't feel like that when it finally gets done and dusted Arch (or perhaps you'll go slightly crazy and decide to become a landlord and then a lawyer like a former landlord did). Shame York stopped offering D.Phils a few years ago as you could sound even posher! I think I may ask the engineering prof what he thinks, although I don't think I'll get a quick reply.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
I'm sure you won't feel like that when it finally gets done and dusted Arch (or perhaps you'll go slightly crazy and decide to become a landlord and then a lawyer like a former landlord did). Shame York stopped offering D.Phils a few years ago as you could sound even posher! I think I may ask the engineering prof what he thinks, although I don't think I'll get a quick reply.

well, don't ask him while he's dangling from a bridge wielding a spanner...

Go slightly crazy? I think that happened a while back....:laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have civil engineer friends in Bristol but that's probably too far away to be of any help. I do know that he should choose his A-level's carefully if he decides to do it, things like buisness studies and philosophy only count as a third A-level and they like maths preferably and I think poss further maths is nice.

cygnet

Your friend could also try looking at http://www.nce.co.uk/ which has searchable files on consultants and contractors. (think you need to register to search) Have a look through there to get some names and write off to the ones near them. At this moment in time, it may only be worth targeting the big companies. They are more likely to have done placements before, and to have a wider range of disciplines to give a them an overview of the full spectrum of the industry.
Local structural engineers can be searched for here http://www.findanengineer.com/ too; this almost always gives you consultancy firms, not contractors.
Another avenue would be to contact the universities and see if they have any local links with companies.
The local authority could be worth a letter too.

Top Bottom