Any coppers on here? Is my hi-viz legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
In my experience, there is not a shadow of a doubt that drivers slow down and give extra room when overtaking. Some will even indicate left when they've finished overtaking.
I'd definitely try it out if one ever came my way. I wouldn't pay the £25 for it that some one here mentioned was the price though.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As a police cyclist who teaches other EMS cyclists, I can tell you that drivers don't treat you any better when wearing a real police uniform, so it's wasted money in that sense. The monent I'm off duty I revert to my own plain hi vis kit for the journey home.
It seems like the police are always in hi vis these days. Do they all have to wear it at all times when they are outside within sight of a road? Have elf'n'safety gone all o.t.t. on the police as well now?

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends largely on the Force. Some reserve it for obvious high risk activities, others insist on it for being seen in public - not on the basis that it makes you safer, but in the belief that more people will see you and be impressed with how many hobbies there are. I know, I know...

I would contend that if you are aware of people are giving you a wider berth while wearing it (When compared to drivers actions when wearing a conventional florrie) then you have mens rea and you are commiting the offence. You'd have trouble arguing they thought you were British Telecom or the Salvation Army.

I know there are a few other Dibble on here, I wonder how they would view these?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I would contend that if you are aware of people are giving you a wider berth while wearing it (When compared to drivers actions when wearing a conventional florrie) then you have mens rea and you are commiting the offence.
What does this mean in layman terms? Does it mean 'criminal intent'?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So technically speaking is it legal to dress completely in police uniform in public if it is not your intention to deceive? Perhaps I'm on my way to a fancy dress party. (This is entirely academic. I have no intention of dressing up as a policeman except perhaps for the "polite" hi vis and even then probably not.)
As I undertand it ...Yes.

in the same way that its totally legal to ride a white motorcycle with full police livery (except the word Police) blue lights and everything, so long as you dont use them nor imply that they are real.

IIRCC, a few ex plod bikes and cars are sold to film units who need to transport them between shoots...so, often they just ride or drive them.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Never bothered with hi-viz. In my college days I cycled with a lime green top and lime green/yellow overshoes and drivers still made the same mistakes.

Now I cycle all in black. It isn't that drivers don't see me, it's that they see me and don't care. Being seen is all about positioning, not a flimsy yellow vest.

Black reflective tape though, now that's miracle stuff. I love that stuff.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Here we go...
This is just a thread about the legality of the POLITE hi-viz. Nothing to do with road positioning, assertive cycling, risk compensation, bla bla bla etc.

When I was a motorcycle courier, we got jackets made for motorcyclists with a Scottish constabulary.

I did what I could to mimic as closely as I could the 'Police Motorcyclist' look.

I had the impression that it made other road users much more careful and respectful in my presence.... Until they rumbled me as a fake.

I was even given free bagels on Brick Lane, my money turned away with a smile and "No mate, you guys do a goiod job".

I have a feeling he didn't have smelly, rude, lawbreaking couriers in mind when he said that. :smile:

Top Bottom