Any decent climbs in and around Sussex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I'm in Brighton and I usually end my rides by coming up Ditchling Beacon and then down into town. It's gets a bit stale though, anyone know of any other decent climbs, say within a 40ish mile radius of here? I'm sure there must be!

Pete

There's Kidd's Hill aka The Wall in Ashdown Forest. About the same steepness and height as the Beacon but far nastier, there are no 'easy bits' on the way up, to take a breather.

For a real thumper try Cob Lane near Ardingly, take it in a southerly direction. About 1 in 5 to 1 in 4.

I should point out that I have never managed either of these. xx(

Bostal Road leading out of Steyning is perhaps not quite such a challenge, but worth it for the view over Steyning bowl at the top.

There are plenty more I'm sure, but these are the ones that come to mind...

Pete

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Devils Dyke?
The ascent from the Brighton side - i.e. up Dyke Road, is actually not much of a climb at all, a very gentle gradient. But you can have a decent bit of hill coming from the North, up Saddlescombe Hill (a good alternative L2B route for anyone who wants to give Ditchling Beacon a miss, BTW). The short stretch of road running East out of Poynings village is pretty steep with an awkward corner at the top. But I wouldn't call any of these, big hills. Go there for the view - not for your hill fetish xx(.

Actually, there are some fairly decent climbs in Brighton itself, as I'm sure Joe knows all about! I used (when younger and fitter) to commute up Mill Road and then down KG6* towards Hangleton and Portslade, mornings, then do it in reverse in the evening. Both of these are quite - er - satisfying climbs.

*Local abbreviation for King George VI Avenue.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Excellent info, cheers! I will try and head out to at least one of these this weekend.
There are definitely some good hills in Brighton. I quite often head out of town via KG6 and it's a bit of a pain when you haven't really warmed up yet!

Pete

If you're into Audax (or not) and registered on ACF, get in touch with Martin (formerly "Zoom") over there, he organises a lot of stuff around these parts including some 'hilly's.

Pete

Bigtallfatbloke said:
what about the hill at handcross on the A23?
no.
Traffic is abit severe though I suppose.
yes.:biggrin:

Aint Skeered

Bedham hill just outside of Wisborough Green 15%
Bury Hill near Arundel
Blackdown hill near Midhurst ( a real bitch! )
Yep plenty of nice climbs in Sussex.
Just over the border into Surrey and you've got all the Surrey Hill climbs as well. I did one in the Guildford Challenge ride a couple of weeks ago, 21%.

Sussex doesn't have the sharp climbs that you find in Kent and Surrey. I'd add the Balcombe to Ardingly road which dips down to the reservoir from both west and east at about 1 in 7. If you're looking for a day out with a fair amount of up and down, and you don't mind a bit of passing traffic, then the A259 from Brighton eastwards has its moments.

Pete

simon l& and a half said:
I'd add the Balcombe to Ardingly road which dips down to the reservoir from both west and east at about 1 in 7.
What Simon has - judiciously - failed to mention is that you have to do the climb twice on this road - because the said road dips down to two separate arms of the same reservoir, with a hill in between. :biggrin::evil::biggrin:. Many a grown man has, I'm sure, broken down and wept on learning of this fact for the first time...

As it happens there are quite a lot of little lanes which go up the scarp slope of the South Downs, and come to an end there, often at a car park. Unless you're an MTB'er you have to go back the same way you came, but at least you'll get a splendid view at the top. One of the most ferocious (to my mind: never attempted it by bike) is Bignor Hill with a vicious bend at 1 in 4.... But the view over Chichester harbour to the IOW (on a clear day) is worth it!

Albionrider

When I lived in Brighton I used to live on The Drove which runs down from Dyke Road to Preston Park.
This road although quite short has got to be one of the steepest gradiants you will find in Sussex.
It is one way going down, but we used to to put someone on look out at the top and cycle up it. Give it a go on a quite sunday morning, most club riders couldn't do it inc. myself.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Well I still haven't made it out to any of these climbs:blush: But I will.
I did some of the ones around town this morning, including The Drove. That's a great little climb which I've never even noticed as I always follow that road before around to the left!
I made it up without TOO much trouble, but I do have a triple. It really kicks up right at the end doesn't it?:biggrin:

Top Bottom