Any dog owners as desperately need help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I lost my Rosie to cancer last week and want another dog as soon as possible. I hate not having one. The house is so quiet and empty and I haven't been without a dog in the house for the last 22years. We have talked as a family and all agree that we want another dog. We've decided on a breed and have already started looking.

Talk to the family about getting another rather than surprise them with a new dog.
Sorry to hear that, our dog is called Rosie too. Theres a fair bit of nervousness at the moment as she is going to have a dislocated knee operated on tomorrow. Gulp.

Is she a terrier and is it a cruciate ligament issue?

Jack had to have an op (thank God for PetPlan as it cost £4K). I'd thoroughly recommend finding a canine hydrotherapist.
september 16.jpg
Some terrier in there, backed up by her behaviour, but sort of collie shaped and some of that behaviour too.
Basically, a black dog :wub:
Quite relieved we signed up to petplan. She dislocated it bouncing about with another dog on Xmas day but Vet has said her other knee is really solid. Not her cruciate though - kneecap, seems fairly routine for the vet to put a metal stitch to hold it back in place.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If it was me and i'd just lost my dog i'd wait a while till the emotional bit subsided and i could think straight without jumping into something then regretting it. I'd wait a few months, then go to a dogs home and chose the one that continually gets left behind. Imagine the joy that dog would feel in finally being given a new home.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I had to take my little chap for his last trip to the vet in early December, and we're still really missing him. We went to our local Dogs Trust centre to hand over his unopened food and treats, and had a look at the dogs awaiting re-homing whilst we were there. I found it very difficult myself. Whilst we might well take another dog into our home in the future, I can't do it just yet. We'd shared our homes with Muffin for 14 years and we both still think of him and miss him every day. If we do take on another dog, he or she will never be a replacement for Muffin, but will be a new and different friend. I share your pain, and wish you well for the future.

I have cats, not dogs, but I volunteer for a branch of a well-known national cat charity, and the advice holds true whatever the species. If you go via a rescue, you will - depending on where you go - have to fill in a questionnaire / have a home check done and they will try and match you to the animal(s) that suit your needs best. It also pays to go visit a rescue with an open mind. (And an open heart :smile:)

It's also about finding the *right* companion animal to fit into your home and your heart. Took me three years after I lost Pearl to get Lexi - who, incidentally, was an emergency foster who kind of stayed. :blush: On the other hand, when Toby went to Rainbow Bridge back in 2009, I reserved Poppy (who was an 8 week old kitten at the time) the very same day. Sometimes you just *know* when they're right for you.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had to take my little chap for his last trip to the vet in early December,
That's what i always said to folk when they asked. I took her(my nearly 17 year old JR)for her final vets visit. I couldn't say, to be put to sleep,or that even worse one Euthanised.

OP
OP
coco69

coco69

Veteran
Thanks accy...im going to listen to advice given and let the dust settle a little for now

OTE="Accy cyclist, post: 4655501, member: 21759"]The barmaid down my local pub told me her dog has just had 3 pups(born last Sunday,all dogs,not leaving the mother for at least 8 weeks). They're a cross between a long haired Chihuahua and a Lancashire heeler. Maybe one of those would be suitable for you?[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom