Any electricians about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I've got a 2 gang 2 way switch at the bottom of my stairs. One switch controls the landing light the other the kitchen light, unfortunately they are the wrong way round so the switch nearest the stairs controls the kitchen lights and vice versa. Is it just a case of transferring the wires from one switch to the equivalent connections on the other switch or is it more complicated than that?

Having recently fallen out with the electrician who installed it due him hiking the estimate up by almost double without first informing me I'm reluctant to get him back.
Thanks in advance.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sounds like a cowboy. No other electricians about to check he's actually done the job properly?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I've got a 2 gang 2 way switch at the bottom of my stairs. One switch controls the landing light the other the kitchen light, unfortunately they are the wrong way round so the switch nearest the stairs controls the kitchen lights and vice versa. Is it just a case of transferring the wires from one switch to the equivalent connections on the other switch or is it more complicated than that?

Having recently fallen out with the electrician who installed it due him hiking the estimate up by almost double without first informing me I'm reluctant to get him back.
Thanks in advance.

We have a switch like that. It has been annoying me since we moved in to what was then, a new build house, 33 yers ago. I have been pondering the same thought, re: switching wires around, but, too afraid of Mrs @BoldonLad's wrath to risk it. ;)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it is that simple.

Depending on how the wires come into the switch, you may also be able simply rotate the face place 180 degree and screw it back on as long as there is enough length of spare wire and room in the box to accommodate such a move.

alicat

Legendary Member
Depending on how the wires come into the switch, you may also be able simply rotate the face place 180 degree and screw it back on as long as there is enough length of spare wire and room in the box to accommodate such a move.

I did that. Just turned the faceplate the other way round. Works a treat.

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Yes it is that simple.

Bloody hell that's a brilliant idea if the cables are long enough, I shall investigate

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It worked, took 2 minutes. Bravo and thanks👏👏

Jolly good, although doesn't that mean the off position is now the on position, and vice-versa?

Dave7

Legendary Member
In our hallway we have a 3 way switch. Strangely/stupidly the 2 outside switches operate the porch and outside lights while the middle switch operates the hallway.
Is that also easy to change the wires?
NB... I won't touch it but I know someone who would^_^.

icowden

Veteran
In our hallway we have a 3 way switch. Strangely/stupidly the 2 outside switches operate the porch and outside lights while the middle switch operates the hallway.

That sounds like a straight forward switch as (presumably) you don't also turn the outside lights on and off from the outside, so yes, it should be as simple as moving the wires. Make sure the power is off!!

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a two way switch, so will be 'wrong' 50% of the time anyway...! Alternatively, it will also now be 'right' 50% more often than it was...!
He could always tell anybody who asks that it's an American switch & supposed to be that way.
Yes it's straight forward, although sometimes awkward if the wires are tight, it 'could' just be a matter of changing 2 wires over, but if you are not comfortable doing it then you shouldn't

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes it is, as advised, turn power off at fuse box first. its a daytime job:okay:

Top Bottom