Any excel experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
alternatively you can use the ROUND function in conjunction with your formula and specify the No of decimal places. Any totals of these results will match and not contain any rounding errors.

garrilla

MacB are you not introducing rounding error?

round(0.59,0)+round(0.59,0) = 2

0.59 + 0.59 = 1.18 but format is 1 + 1 = 1

MacB

garrilla said:
MacB are you not introducing rounding error?

round(0.59,0)+round(0.59,0) = 2

0.59 + 0.59 = 1.18 but format is 1 + 1 = 1

yes and no, if you're playing with figures and presenting a total you can feel a little foolish if the total doesn't match the numbers above it. For example, if you have cells displaying 2 decimal places but the feed is actually greater then it can look dumb:-

2.594 in two cells showing 2 decimal places, so shows as 2.59 twice, yet a sum of those two cells will give you 5.19 rather than 5.18

ChrisKH

Guru
It might be easier if you send the file to me or MacB to resolve in future. We only ask for a bungee to attach to the back of your bike on the next ride. ;)

MacB

ChrisKH said:
It might be easier if you send the file to me or MacB to resolve in future. We only ask for a bungee to attach to the back of your bike on the next ride. :smile:

Now there's a plan I could go with, maybe just add in a whip in case he starts to slack:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
MacB said:
Now there's a plan I could go with, maybe just add in a whip in case he starts to slack:biggrin:

I'm still waiting for him to do London to Brighton on a BMX bike. I want to be there for that one. B)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
iLB said:
if only it did only involve simple additions *sigh* lots of measures of stream discharge and then some measures of spread like coefficient of varitation, standard deviation etc :ohmy:

Ah, the joys of simple data sets... :smile:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
There is an option in Excel to 'set precision as displayed'... no more rounding errors as the number stored is the actual number you see.

No need to use the ROUND function.

MacB

amnesia said:
There is an option in Excel to 'set precision as displayed'... no more rounding errors as the number stored is the actual number you see.

No need to use the ROUND function.

just checked that out, excellent ta:biggrin: that's generally the way I've learned Excel, work out how to do something and stick with it until someone shows me a better way.

As I understand it this can be slightly dangerous though. It automatically applies across all worksheets in a workbook. It also permanently removes the underlying No, so if you remove precision you'd not regain the removed data.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
MacB said:
just checked that out, excellent ta:biggrin: that's generally the way I've learned Excel, work out how to do something and stick with it until someone shows me a better way.

As I understand it this can be slightly dangerous though. It automatically applies across all worksheets in a workbook. It also permanently removes the underlying No, so if you remove precision you'd not regain the removed data.

Yes - use with care... but it is useful if you only EVER want to use x decimal places.

Top Bottom