Any Falcon experts here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A fellow Bike Forums member recommended that I come here for help identifying a recent Ebay purchase. I picked up a Falcon frameset but it has been repainted, poorly, so I'm not 100% certain what I have. It was a bit of a gamble but it's my size, I LOVE the head badge LOL (not shown) and it wasn't expensive so I figured I'd give it a shot. Some of the guys at BF got me close on an identification and I believe it may be a 1974 Olympic Model 78 based on the lugs, Campagnolo machined dropouts and the fork. It most closely matches the '74 Olympic in the catalogs but as we all know a lot can change between the time a catalog is printed and the bike actually rolls out the door. I'm hoping to make as positive an ID as possible as I want to give it a proper paint job and get correct reproduction decals for it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. My intent is to build it with a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group salvaged from a wrecked Volkscycle. (Frame pics are from the Ebay auction.) Thank you for any input. :biggrin:

s-l1600 (13).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

(Seller put the headbadge inside the bottom bracket for shipping.)
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Falcon_Catalog_Page07.jpg

midlife

Guru
@Mandobob is our resident expert :smile:

:welcome:
That looks like a nice frame . I see what you mean about the paint finish.

A lot of people come to this site for help! :wacko:

As been said above Mandobob is the authority Mon Falcon bikes , he will probably show up later. There are a couple of Falcon threads showing members Falcon cycles.

midlife

Guru
Typical Falcon with only one braze on lol. One thing about Falcon is that they are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates...... You never know what you are going to get :smile:

I used to sell them BITD and unwrapping them from the factory was always a bit hit and miss as to what was under the cardboard lol

Mandobob

A fellow Bike Forums member recommended that I come here for help identifying a recent Ebay purchase. I picked up a Falcon frameset but it has been repainted, poorly, so I'm not 100% certain what I have. It was a bit of a gamble but it's my size, I LOVE the head badge LOL (not shown) and it wasn't expensive so I figured I'd give it a shot. Some of the guys at BF got me close on an identification and I believe it may be a 1974 Olympic Model 78 based on the lugs, Campagnolo machined dropouts and the fork. It most closely matches the '74 Olympic in the catalogs but as we all know a lot can change between the time a catalog is printed and the bike actually rolls out the door. I'm hoping to make as positive an ID as possible as I want to give it a proper paint job and get correct reproduction decals for it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. My intent is to build it with a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group salvaged from a wrecked Volkscycle. (Frame pics are from the Ebay auction.) Thank you for any input. :biggrin:

View attachment 719986

View attachment 719987

View attachment 719988

(Seller put the headbadge inside the bottom bracket for shipping.)
View attachment 719990

View attachment 719989

Hi Murray Missile
That is a nice frame with great longpoint lugs. Before I say anything else about it, is the seat post 26.8mm? Also, do you have the frame number?
More than happy to advise on decals etc but if possible, putting an approximate date on it is the first job.

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
Hi Murray Missile
That is a nice frame with great longpoint lugs. Before I say anything else about it, is the seat post 26.8mm? Also, do you have the frame number?
More than happy to advise on decals etc but if possible, putting an approximate date on it is the first job.

Thanks, I'll check for numbers, the top of the seat tube was pinched in from a too small post being installed. The post in the picture was included but it's only a 25.8 and is a bit loose even with all the gunk inside the tube. I did open up the top but my seat post gauge bottomed out on the top of the lug before it got to the actual ID of the tube. I tried a 26.6 which wouldn't go but it's also still full of old grease, etc. and the tube is slightly deformed at the binder but I have my doubts a 26.8 is going to make it. I'll have a go at clearing it out and report back.

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
....... is the seat post 26.8mm? Also, do you have the frame number?
I cleaned it out some more and a 26.6 now fits vey nicely but a 26.8 won't go although there is still a fair amount of scale and build up. I need to get a flapper wheel on a drill and run through it. My gut feeling however is that a 26.6 is going to be it.

I found 2 sets of figures underneath on the BB shell. One set might have a letter I can't read or it may just be a random mark that looks like the tip of a stamp but it's followed by the sequence "D AKBH". The other set is "X20243". I couldn't see or feel any evidence of a seam in the ID of the seat tube.

Mandobob

I cleaned it out some more and a 26.6 now fits vey nicely but a 26.8 won't go although there is still a fair amount of scale and build up. I need to get a flapper wheel on a drill and run through it. My gut feeling however is that a 26.6 is going to be it.

I found 2 sets of figures underneath on the BB shell. One set might have a letter I can't read or it may just be a random mark that looks like the tip of a stamp but it's followed by the sequence "D AKBH". The other set is "X20243". I couldn't see or feel any evidence of a seam in the ID of the seat tube.

The frame number (X20243) is really useful and in my view puts it at 1973. At that time this frame was built with Reynolds 531 plain gauge tubing which definitely takes a 26.8 seat tube. Given that your frame has had the wrong seatpin fitted and overtightened, the tube will certainly be slightly distorted.

To clean the inside of a seat tube I use some stiff wire 2mm thick. I put one end in the electric drill and on the other I fold the wire over to clamp a piece of fine wir wool. This way I can clean the entire length of the seatpin insert and leave a very smooth finish. I haven't found a flapper wheel that will get that fat into the tube.

The catalogue page you show is for 1974 and I am including a similar image from the 1973 catalogue. You will notice a few differences, the main one for me is in 1973 the handlebar stem was of the type with an external nut on top. The following year they switched to the recessed allen key type. If you look closely between the two images you will see the nut standing up on the 1973 image.

The Reynolds transfer/decal you should use is the one I am illustrating here, taken from Nick Tithecott's useful catalogue of all known 531 transfers.

The Arabesque group is a nice one and was introduced in 1978 I think. It would therefore not be truly period correct but could be considered a period upgrade.
Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 09.36.47.png

You say you want to give it a proper paint job. In my personal view stove enamelling is the way to go but it is expensive. I have just had a frame done at Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol and its better than the original Falcon finish!

I look forward to seeing yours built up in due course.

IMG_3521.jpeg

OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
Thank you VERY much for confirming what I suspected and for the photo of the correct tubing decal. :okay:

It will definitely get a proper respray although I'll probably use a non-original color.

As for the flapper I can take a nice long piece of rod, cut a slot in the rod and feed a strip of emery cloth through the slot, wind it around the rod and chuck that in my drill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murray Missile

Murray Missile

Regular
The wrench set for the 600EX headset and decals from H Lloyd are on the way. Once the wrenches are here I'll pull the headset and strip at least the horrendous respray off it and prep it for paint. One color I have in mind is an early 2000's GM color. Toreador red Metallic as I have enough repair paint left from a car I used to have to paint 3 or 4 frames and I always liked the color. It would make a good background for the Falcon red text foil decals and a nicely polished and detailed Arabesque group.

389022_479894572023090_811857468_n.jpg

trekbasso

Hi all, trekbasso here, also looking for Falcon info. Just joined so no pics yet, but will try to describe. Serial # X5038 (pretty sure). Bought as a frameset. Looks like "birdsmouth" lugs, only chrome on the fork socks, wrap seat stays like Murray Missles. Green with white Falcon decals on top and down tube, and Special under the Falcon logo on seat tube. Weird "pimple" on bottom bracket. Thought it might be a grease zerk but no check ball or opening. Had a TDC cottered BB, trashed. Unknown Head set but similar to TDC or Brampton. Gorgeous head badge. Stamped drop outs, and rear fender eyes are filled in? It was on 'bay at the same time as Murray's blue one. Plain 531 decal low on seat tube, like above. 26.8 post. I know kind of hard without pics but I will work on that. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. Tom.

Top Bottom