Any fishkeepers here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I've just Wikied Red Tailed Black Sharks. They may be extinct in the wild :evil:.

Is fish smuggling a problem when it comes to the more "ordinary" fish?
I can imagine it certainly is when you're talking about rare fish but what about more run of the mill ones?

Cheddar George

oober member
A red tailed shark is the pride of my tank. Must be 4 or 5 years old and over 5 inches long, the colours are fantastic - Jet black body and the tail is really .... well you know ..... bright red !!!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
rich p said:
what happens if you go on holiday? Do you need someone trustworthy to 'babysit' them?

Not really. the neighbour comes in once a day and feeds them, everything else is automated.
I have some very good friend I met on that fish forum and I can call on people to come out and assist if needed whilst we're away, and I would do the same for others.

BentMikey said:
Chris, wow that's lovely! And complicated and expensive I'll bet!!!

Thanks Mike, appreciated.
The cost isn't too bad, a lot of the kit was sourced secondhand over a period of time.

Running costs care a little high but then I don't drink much, I don't smoke anymore, don't play golf or anything like that.
Cyclings my other main hobby, and we all know that doesn't cost anything :becool: :smile:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I spent a very pleasant half-hour looking through your topic last night, and got quite frustrated when the UR server slowed down for a bit and I couldn't get to the last three pages.

Most impressed!!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
BentMikey said:
I spent a very pleasant half-hour looking through your topic last night, and got quite frustrated when the UR server slowed down for a bit and I couldn't get to the last three pages.

Most impressed!!

Thanks again, much appreciated :becool:

The site does suffer with server problems, it gets a huge amount of traffic and doesn't get upgraded to cope with it.
Its a very good forum, but very commercial and heavily moderated.

I find it very refreshing on here that people can say what they think, I guess thats the difference with having no sponsers to pacify.

Any pics of your tank Mikey?

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I was quite chuffed whern my Bristlenose catfish gave birth, but only about 8 or so of the fry managed to survive long enough for me to sell them back to the LFS.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No pics I'm afraid, and I'd probably be faaar too shy after seeing so much of your tank, LOL!

It's just a bog standard Elite 60 beginners tank. Actually it was the goldfish version, but I changed my mind and got a heater for tropical fish. I've got 5 guppies in there and plastic plants right now. I'll move to real plants and more fish as I learn more and manage to keep conditions stable and happy. The fish have been in there a week now, and the water seems pretty OK and has stayed the same. pH 7.5-8, 0 ammonia and nitrite, and 10-20 nitrate. My water's pretty hard down here.

I got some mopane wood yesterday. That made me a bit homesick and also excited, we used to collect it for barbeque fires. Bit of a shock to pay that much for two little pieces when I used to collect wheelbarrow-loads of driftwood in the Zambezi valley.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Hello from number 2 post on the tank thread below :biggrin::biggrin:
You can't even hide on the net Chris :sad:

I thought you were too old and fat to cycle ( like me )

Panter said:
Yup, complete fish anorak here :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here's my 5' reef tank

We also have a 4' discus tank and a 2' tropical tank

Please feel free to pm if you have any questions ;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
djb1971 said:
You can't even hide on the net Chris :sad:
I thought you were too old and fat to cycle ( like me )

Hey Dave, hows it going buddy :biggrin:

You're not wrong on either count ;) :biggrin:

pm replied :biggrin:

No pics I'm afraid, and I'd probably be faaar too shy after seeing so much of your tank, LOL!
Go for it Mike, I'll try and get a piccy of out trop tank over the weekend, its nothing special but its a nicely balanced little system :smile:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Chris, how's the effect on your leccy bill? My teeny tiny setup uses a max of 135w and averages around 15. LOLOL!

djb1971, I'm impressed. Did you follow referrer strings back here?

Top Bottom