Any flooring experts in the café?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you recommend a covering for a workshop floor? It needs to be washable and it mustn't insulate because there will be under-floor heating. The top layer will be self-levelling screed, is screed robust enough to form the top layer if sealed and painted? Or should something else equally dense be laid over the screed?

At work our lab floors are covered in some kind of chemical-proof resin finish, which is excellent but I bet it's expensive.

Another possibility is the finish in the laying shed of our neighbour's chicken farm where the concrete was floated smooth then treated with a sealant then a smart pale grey matt paint, which I like very much.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

pawl

Legendary Member
Can you recommend a covering for a workshop floor? It needs to be washable and it mustn't insulate because there will be under-floor heating. The top layer will be self-levelling screed, is screed robust enough to form the top layer if sealed and painted? Or should something else equally dense be laid over the screed?

At work our lab floors are covered in some kind of chemical-proof resin finish, which is excellent but I bet it's expensive.

Another possibility is the finish in the laying shed of our neighbour's chicken farm where the concrete was floated smooth then treated with a sealant then a smart pale grey matt paint, which I like very much.

Nope all the cafes are closed.

PK99

Legendary Member

Sheet linoleum?

£30/m2

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not really washable unless the edges are really well sealed (the Hessian backing rots)
A good lino fitter will ensure this is done.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I recently used a two part resin coating on my garage (which is 4x8m). I used this because I wanted to be sure it was sealed against damp coming in. I got the primer and top coat from Resincoat in West York's and it cost £450. Obviously I then had to paint it down, but it wasn't hard. It gives a great surface, tough, oil petrol resistant and washable. Super choice of colours too.

If you're not concerned about damp then a decent solvent based garage floor paint would be fine I think. Screwfix or Johnston's trade stuff I always find decent.

Top Bottom