Any flooring experts in the café?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I seem to recall a post that shows @screenman has a rather nice garage floor!

Painted at least twice a year with Armisted floor paint.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I recently used a two part resin coating on my garage (which is 4x8m). I used this because I wanted to be sure it was sealed against damp coming in. I got the primer and top coat from Resincoat in West York's and it cost £450. Obviously I then had to paint it down, but it wasn't hard. It gives a great surface, tough, oil petrol resistant and washable. Super choice of colours too.

If you're not concerned about damp then a decent solvent based garage floor paint would be fine I think. Screwfix or Johnston's trade stuff I always find decent.

Just did our outhouse floor with Screwfix Garage floor paint. Very pleased with the result.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes it's for the house we're building in Scotland. The workshop and pottery studio will have wet under-floor heating so I need a floor that doesn't insulate, is tough, will never need repainting and looks smart. It will need to resist water and the occasional spillage of solvents like paraffin, petrol, whatever and can be brushed and washed.

We haven't given it much thought except that the walls will be lined with fake T&G planking in MDF for a traditional workshop look and better hanging of stuff like shelves than plasterboard. An engineered wood floor would be nice but would soon get damaged.

I'm wondering if the finish can be painted straight onto the screed or something else is needed. How tough is self-levelling screed?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes it's for the house we're building in Scotland. The workshop and pottery studio will have wet under-floor heating so I need a floor that doesn't insulate, is tough, will never need repainting and looks smart. It will need to resist water and the occasional spillage of solvents like paraffin, petrol, whatever and can be brushed and washed.

We haven't given it much thought except that the walls will be lined with fake T&G planking in MDF for a traditional workshop look and better hanging of stuff like shelves than plasterboard. An engineered wood floor would be nice but would soon get damaged.

I'm wondering if the finish can be painted straight onto the screed or something else is needed. How tough is self-levelling screed?
Limestone 'flagstone' can go over heated floors.

Top Bottom