1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Geordies here??

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Cathryn, 28 Jun 2008.

1. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

We're doing the C2C in August and have got trains booked as far as Newcastle but are struggling to find out how we get from Newcastle to Tynemouth on public transport with the bikes. The Metro doesn't take 'em unless they fold...and our bikes don't fold!

Any bright ideas? Don't say 'cycle' as we get to Newcastle late. Any idea how much a taxi would be...and if there are taxis that take two bikes??

Ta

2. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

Whey aye hinnie, there are plenty of Geordies on here. I don't drive or I'd be happy to help. Taxis from the rank outside the Central Station are expensive, I'd guess £30+ to Tynemouth. I don't know about bikes in taxis but have never seen it before. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

3. PatrickPending

PatrickPending Veteran

I used to cycle from Newcastle to tynemouth fairly regularly - tis not far maybe an hour or so. There is a metro but no idea as to whether you can take bikes on it. I guess the problem will be going down the stairs at central station or monument. You could always pick it up at heaton but thas a bit of a ride out...

oooh

http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/con...on/Metro+-+Other+information+-+Dogs+and+bikes

seems only folders are allowed on the metro :tongue: mind you you knew that already

4. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

You are doing the C2C the wrong way? You do realise you will have the wind against you the whole way?

Anyway, there is no easy answer - Metro and buses are out. You could ring Noda Taxis (who are the firm at the Central Station rank) on 0191 222 1888 and ask about their policy on bikes.

In the end though, it is only 9 miles to Tynemouth, and if you want to be particularly quick, you can go through Wallsend rather than use the C2C route.

5. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

The topography is also against you Cathryn....short steep ascents and longer descents- i should know I've done it twice-the 'correct way'! - both times with a healthy tailwind....:ohmy:
    The chances of you finding a Easterly wind for more than 2 days is fairly remote.....

6. Flying_Monkey

I have done most of the route this way - I remember crawling up The Black Hill in a howling gale and horizontal rain at about 6mph!

7. OP
    OP
    Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

You lots are rays of sunshine, aren't you!

We had no choice really...the trains to Whitehaven were completely full, and if we wanted to do the C2C it was East to West or nuffink! I'm sure the weather will be gorgeous though!!

Thanks for the taxi info by the way

8. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Don't worry Cathryn, you're reet tough!

9. Best thing to do is to ride it! Tynemouth is (mostly) signposted from the city centre as it's the end of the C2C anyway. Will take you about 40 minutes. Unless you have a pint first, in which it will take you a couple of hours...(mentioning no names, ahem).

10. Flying_Monkey

That's what I'd do... without the pint of course. :tongue:

11. Haitch

Haitch Flim Flormally

Can't you stay in Newcastle overnight and start from there the next morning, either directly from Newcastle to the west coast or, if you're a purist, getting up an hour earlier and going from Newcastle to Tynemouth first?