Any good book recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnesy

Hi,

Im going for a 3 week trip to zambia here next week, it gets dark about 6pm and theres not much to do at night so i can get a good bit of reading done.

I dont normally read much and dont fancy fiction novels.

I normally read biographies, stories of people who have lived great lives or had tough journeys.

Books about cycling are good and i have read both of Lance Armstrong's books which i didnt think were bad, im currently just about to finish Mark Beaumont's book of his record attempt.

I enjoy cycle touring myself and i love stories of people who have been on fantastic journeys.

A few that amazon throws up are the 2 by Alistair Humphreys and Discovery road.

So any recommendations on books that i may enjoy?

Thanks

montage

God Almighty
Killing Rommel

HeyWayne

Anything by Ranulph Fiennes is great.

Scar Tissue -Anthony Kiedis is a great read. How that dude's still alive is beyond me.

The Long Way Round is pretty decent for that kinda thing.

Some of my favourite books though are by Jasper FForde (the Thursday Next series) and David Mitchell (not the scary-eyed little dude from Peep Show). Cloud Atlas is a great book, and Black Swan Green is a great book for anyone that grew up in the 80's.

There's always Stephen King to fall back on. Insomnia's probably me fave.

U

User169

I'm reading "Wilfred Thesiger: The Life of the Great Explorer" by Alexander Maitland at the moment. It's an easy read and recounts a truly extraordinary life. Ideal to read in Africa I would have thought.

For more up to date travel, Rory Stewart's "The Places in Between" is pretty good - it describes how he walked solo across Afghanistan in 2001-2002.

rh100

Bill Bryson is a good author. He tends to look under the skin of places he goes to.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
threebikesmcginty said:

Let me down Ed, the answer should have been...

....Miles better:wacko:;)

tuffty

"French Revolutions" by Tim Moore - funny book about an unfit journalist who decides to cycle the route of the Tour

"Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon - another journalist, who set off on his own completely unsupported on a motorbike around the world. Amazing story, all done before Ewan and Charlie made this kind of thing cool.

"The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard - story of Scott's Antarctic expedition

"Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson - legendary story of a climbing expedition in the Andes which went horribly wrong

Top Bottom