Any hate Turbo training - But love Zwift etc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive never been able to get into sitting on a turbo. I find it so boring starring at a garage wall...

But the weekend I got to try a wahoo kickr and zwift - which seemed like it could be fun. However at thje end of the day its still sitting on a turbo ! and the cash investment is major

I wonder if anyone has not been able to stomach a bog standard turbo - but then got into virtual training

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Ive never been able to get into sitting on a turbo. I find it so boring starring at a garage wall...

But the weekend I got to try a wahoo kickr and zwift - which seemed like it could be fun. However at thje end of the day its still sitting on a turbo ! and the cash investment is major

I wonder if anyone has not been able to stomach a bog standard turbo - but then got into virtual training
Never had a turbo before, but had my bkool now for 2 years and love riding in the virtual world. When I first got it I struggled to ride for 20 mins, but now I can ride for hours and compete Un online races. Improvement is amazing. I ride on bkool and zwift - both have pros and cons but equally motivating.

Made some real life friends too and some good online banter. Just don't ask @bobinski about his poorly knee, you'll be here all day :laugh:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Yes, I feel exactly the same.

Just to let you know though, the cost barrier doesn't have to be huge - you can dip a toe in the water for very little money.

Zwift let you ride a small number of KMs per month for free (I think it's 25KM), and you can usually get an unlimited trial account for a while (a week or two normally).

If you already have a "dumb" turbo, then a speed sensor is all you need to start giving Zwift a go. You won't get the fully immersive experience of the resistance changing with hills and aero benefits etc, but you will be able to ride in Zwift for very little investment (£50 or less).

Once you know you like it, you may choose to purchase a smart trainer but there are lots available for less than the Wahoo Kickr - that is a top end trainer. Tacx have some options available at around the £200 mark and they work very well.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Yes, I feel exactly the same.

Just to let you know though, the cost barrier doesn't have to be huge - you can dip a toe in the water for very little money.

Zwift let you ride a small number of KMs per month for free (I think it's 25KM), and you can usually get an unlimited trial account for a while (a week or two normally).

If you already have a "dumb" turbo, then a speed sensor is all you need to start giving Zwift a go. You won't get the fully immersive experience of the resistance changing with hills and aero benefits etc, but you will be able to ride in Zwift for very little investment (£50 or less).

Once you know you like it, you may choose to purchase a smart trainer but there are lots available for less than the Wahoo Kickr - that is a top end trainer. Tacx have some options available at around the £200 mark and they work very well.

Thank you - That sounds like a more feasible option for an impoverished NHS employee.
I don't have anything at the moment - can you suggest a speed sensor - and 'Dumb' trainer....?

BurningLegs

Veteran
If you don't already have a dumb trainer, then I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you can buy one really cheap from a friend or on Gumtree etc (maybe the classifieds section of this site too).

If you buy new, you'll need to pay £100 (roughly) for the dumb trainer and then another £50 for the speed sensor, for £220 you can get an entry level smart trainer...

This is the entry level smart trainer that I use (I paid £180 last year in a sale), it's a great trainer but has it's limitations (maximum sustained power of 800W and maximum simulated gradient of 6%) - neither of these limitations are a problem for people new to virtual training, in my opinion.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

If you go the second hand dumb trainer route, try to get one listed on this web page - these have been tested by Zwift and will give you better results when you use them with a speed sensor:
https://zwift.com/hardware/

This is a suitable speed sensor:
https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-sensors/bluetooth-speed-sensor

You can also get a matching cadence sensor if you want cadence data, or a two in one sensor. You only need these sensors if you use a classic/dumb trainer, but if you have Strava premium then you will be able to get more use out of them because you can use them on the road connected to your Android or iOS phone via Bluetooth (that's a premium only feature).

What device are you going to run the Zwift application on? The easiest route is to use an iPad but it will run on iPad, Mac, or PC (I think Android is coming soon).

If you use an iPad or Mac then Bluetooth is the best way to connect sensors or a smart trainer to the app, but if you use a PC then ANT+ is usually better (not all PCs support the Buetooth 4.0 standard required for these devices). For ANT+ you will need to buy a USB dongle. The speed sensor I have linked to provides data through both bluetooth and ANT+ so will work with any computer or tablet that will run Zwift.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I got an exercise bike when getting into cycling. After an hour it became boring even though it did vary the resistance automatically. Then I got my Kickr and joined Bkool initially, it became a whole lot more interesting with multi hour rides. I've now moved onto Zwift, which is so much fun with the races. There is always someone to ride or race with on Zwift. I also use trainer-road alot and on odd occasions for training up particular mountain climbs BigRingVR and RoadGrandTours.

If you're not sure buy a cheap trainer get used to Zwift and then upgrade to a top-end Smart trainer Kickr, Neo

Breedon

Legendary Member

Yes I've had a standard turbo where you change resistance it was fun the first couple of times then just got board after about 5 times, read a review in cycling plus about bkool some 5 years or more ago and thought wow got it and never looked back.
I did 117 miles on zwift on Friday all on a turbo using a Tacx Neo felt such an achievement.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I used to really dislike the turbo. Sufferfest did a good job of making an hour or so enjoyable. Zwift has transformed it so I enjoy the turbo and can spend much longer periods on it.

I use a cheap(ish) dumb turbo but I do have a decent power meter. You don't need it but I like all the data.

TrainerRoad is also great if performance improvement is your goal.

MiloSnowe

Never had a turbo due to trying to run on a treadmill in the past and lasting 20 mins max due to sheer boredom even with music or watching the TV, where as I could complete a half marathon easily in the real world.

Saw VR cycle trainers and thought about taking the plunge and was bought one for my birthday two years ago.

It immersive. I’ll give you two examples.
On the Bkool Sa Calobra video route at the thin steep bit between the two sheer rock faces there is a coach waiting to come down. There is a tiny gap up the side of the coach on the right hand side and as you navigate up it some idiot decides to overtake the coach on the wrong side blocking you whilst you have right of way. The guy recording the video stopped. I stopped, then shouted some choice words at the idiot who’d blocked me/us, who’s poor riding had been captured possibly years previously and will live on for ever. Then I realised I wasn’t really there and peddled on.
Second one. On Zwift coming to a junction and there’s a bike coming at me at speed from the left. By instinct I soft pedal and then when I see a crash is inevitable I slam on the brakes and brace for impact. Pixels cross, merge then separate and we both continue on our journeys intact.

The other thing is it’s addictive. I used to run regularly before I got into cycling and one of the things I used to get a buzz out of was the endorphins and the virtual meditative state I could get myself into especially if I was listening to the correct music. I miss this on a bike because I won’t distract myself with music and am constantly focused on road hazards so can’t get into that ‘zone’. Running along linear parks and footpaths this wasn’t an issue and I could relax enough to experience this.
On the VR turbo I experience this again and I can push myself that much deeper so I lose focus on the real world. I mean I don’t even have to think about balancing the bike

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
If you don't already have a dumb trainer, then I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you can buy one really cheap from a friend or on Gumtree etc (maybe the classifieds section of this site too).

If you buy new, you'll need to pay £100 (roughly) for the dumb trainer and then another £50 for the speed sensor, for £220 you can get an entry level smart trainer...

This is the entry level smart trainer that I use (I paid £180 last year in a sale), it's a great trainer but has it's limitations (maximum sustained power of 800W and maximum simulated gradient of 6%) - neither of these limitations are a problem for people new to virtual training, in my opinion.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

If you go the second hand dumb trainer route, try to get one listed on this web page - these have been tested by Zwift and will give you better results when you use them with a speed sensor:
https://zwift.com/hardware/

This is a suitable speed sensor:
https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-sensors/bluetooth-speed-sensor

You can also get a matching cadence sensor if you want cadence data, or a two in one sensor. You only need these sensors if you use a classic/dumb trainer, but if you have Strava premium then you will be able to get more use out of them because you can use them on the road connected to your Android or iOS phone via Bluetooth (that's a premium only feature).

What device are you going to run the Zwift application on? The easiest route is to use an iPad but it will run on iPad, Mac, or PC (I think Android is coming soon).

If you use an iPad or Mac then Bluetooth is the best way to connect sensors or a smart trainer to the app, but if you use a PC then ANT+ is usually better (not all PCs support the Buetooth 4.0 standard required for these devices). For ANT+ you will need to buy a USB dongle. The speed sensor I have linked to provides data through both bluetooth and ANT+ so will work with any computer or tablet that will run Zwift.

so if I purchased the tacx flow - would I still the need the sensor adaptor or is that it ?
I have a windows laptop and an android phone

Whereabouts are you based? I'm looking at selling this which I've been using on Zwift for the last year but now my son has taken it up too and to swap between 26" wheel setting and 700c requires taking the resistance unit on and off (as opposed to a Bkool Go where you just clamp in and go with anything from 20" to 700c wheels).

Also whatever you go with I'd recommend a cheap ANT+ dongle as I find my ANT+ devices connect more reliably and quicker to Zwift than with Bluetooth.

EDIT: In fact I even have a spare one here...

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Interesting.Don't mind the turbo too much just getting motivated to do it.Not sure I like the idea of competing with others on a Zwift.Don't think I could set up a Zwift as to where my turbo trainer is and the spare space.

Probably as it takes a bit of effort.Once I get going I'm generally ok.Only did 27 miles yesterday which is quite good for me.

Looking at @amasidlover post obviously I don't know much about turbo trainers.My first one only cost £80 and I'm still using it.

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
so if I purchased the tacx flow - would I still the need the sensor adaptor or is that it ?
I have a windows laptop and an android phone

No you wouldn't need the sensor - just the turbo trainer. It will report power and cadence to Zwift, and Zwift will work out your speed based on the gradient you are riding, aero properties etc.

That turbo has bluetooth and ANT+ built in, so it is possible to connect it to PC, Mac, Android, or iOS.

Also whatever you go with I'd recommend a cheap ANT+ dongle as I find my ANT+ devices connect more reliably and quicker to Zwift than with Bluetooth.

This can be true, but in my experience it depends a lot more on the "receiving" device. For example - I have exactly the same trainer and and a Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor. Both connect faultlessly to my MacBook Pro via bluetooth and have never dropped out. Neither will reliably connect to a PC I also have - I think it is to do with the Bluetooth adapter (or driver) in each computer.

@kingrollo - if you get a trainer that supports bluetooth, I'd suggest trying that first and if it isn't reliable, get an ANT+ dongle at that point. Best case is you don't need to faff around with dongles or spend money on one, but budget for one so you know you will definitely be able to get a solid connection one way or another. If you can get the Tacx flow secondhand (as amaisdlover has offered) then you can probably get a smart setup going for a very reasonable cost. :thumbsup:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don’t have an issue with a bog standard (fluid) Turbo Trainer. I put on a cycling video, turn up the music on the speakers, record my workout on a Garmin SatNav and before you know it half an hour has passed and I’m sweating bullets. On the other hand, the novelty of gimmicky computer games like Zwift wears off quickly for me.

Top Bottom