Any hate Turbo training - But love Zwift etc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I don’t have an issue with a bog standard (fluid) Turbo Trainer. I put on a cycling video, turn up the music on the speakers, record my workout on a Garmin SatNav and before you know it half an hour has passed and I’m sweating bullets. On the other hand, the novelty of gimmicky computer games like Zwift wears off quickly for me.

How does that work. I thought a garmin would need to move to record. But I only have the edge touring model.

Many trainers report speed, cadence and/or power via ANT+ (the accuracy of the last 2 can be questionable on cheaper trainers though) - that's all a Garmin needs...

Also, to answer your original thread title, when I first started training for triathlon I did it in a very unstructured way in the gym and would just hop on a bike/treadmill/cross-trainer; when I did that I found it painfully boring within about 5 mins and generally had to change which piece of equipment I was using within 15 minutes as I was so bored.

Since switching to structured workouts (e.g. 10 mins warm-up, 8 * 3mins hard + 3mins recovery, 10 mins cool down) the time goes much quicker - its alot more painful but I don't get bored!

I do occasionally just hop on Zwift and try and see how I do on their segment rankings (they have KOM/QOM rating boards for each of the big hills and sprint and lap positions), plus they've now mapped their 'worlds' enough that its reasonably entertaining to just explore and watch the scenery go by. Finally, I did my first Zwift race at the weekend and that really did hold my attention for the full hour of racing (set a 1 hour power PB too!)

BurningLegs

Veteran
I do occasionally just hop on Zwift and try and see how I do on their segment rankings (they have KOM/QOM rating boards for each of the big hills and sprint and lap positions), plus they've now mapped their 'worlds' enough that its reasonably entertaining to just explore and watch the scenery go by. Finally, I did my first Zwift race at the weekend and that really did hold my attention for the full hour of racing (set a 1 hour power PB too!)

Your Zwift journey sounds very similar to mine - I don't really enjoy "just riding" on Zwift, unlike the real world. But I have enjoyed the workouts (particular the Zwift Acadamy program).

I also entered my first Zwift race at the weekend, and loved it. I would like to start doing one a week, but with a newborn baby around it can be difficult to squeeze it in!

My Zwift name is B.urningLegs (CycleChat) if you'd like to add me. If I'm ever online and see you are entering a race, I will join you. I have a few others from here on Zwift too.

My Zwift name is B.urningLegs (CycleChat) if you'd like to add me. If I'm ever online and see you are entering a race, I will join you. I have a few others from here on Zwift too.

I'm on as Alex Masidlover - I don't usually do many races as my coach has me doing fairly structured workouts most of the time - but I'm hoping to get more in over the winter now we're out of the TT/Triathlon season.

Pre Zwift I used a fairly decent fluid trainer and invested a few quid in a personalised self coach manual from Flamme Rouge. This did pretty much everything I needed, but I am attracted to new tech. Bought, and had a less than satisfactory experience with a BKool Pro exclusively using their software before picking up with Zwift on the fluid trainer. Sold BKool on fleabay and bought Kickr Snap not looked back. Use free ride and Erg mode. Round here there are a some spiteful climbs in the Chilterns but they are short and steep.. Today I wanted a longer climb around 5% so the Volcano fitted the bill as a bit of training for the Bwlch and Rhigos in the Dragon Ride.

si_c

Guru
Definitely recommend picking up a smart trainer of some kind. I've got the Tacx Flow from halfords, although I got it for around £140 earlier this year with a BC discount, and a price match to decathlon.

It's good enough for now, although I will probably only get another 6-12 months out of it before it becomes totally inadequate for my needs, if your FTP is around 400W or over it won't be worth using for any serious interval or over/under FTP training. I'd highly recommend it for the price though, as nothing touches it until you start to put double or more the money down.

LiamW

Zwift is really starting to bore me now, it's got to the point where i can't be annoyed getting the Neo set up. I just jump in the car and head to the gym and do my winter weights routine. Don't even record my commutes on strava anymore, although i still enjoy the run into work.

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Zwift is really starting to bore me now, it's got to the point where i can't be annoyed getting the Neo set up. I just jump in the car and head to the gym and do my winter weights routine. Don't even record my commutes on strava anymore, although i still enjoy the run into work.
I find racing keeps me interacted enough not to get bored. I use Zwift only when I want a long pootle ride but if I want a balls out effort (think a good weights session, complete with screaming, cursing and general bleeding from the ears) then you can't beat BKool.

Top Bottom