Any Idea what this bike is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeolJoe

Hi All.

I recently bought this bike in a bike auction. It's a bit roughed up so I want to restore it, however I have no idea what type of bike it is. I don't think the colour is original as the serial number is partially painted over. I think it is 003806.

I also think it is a bit of a Frankenbike as some of the parts (particularly the 3ttt stem and guidon phillippe handlebars) don't seem to match the rest of the bike. The majority of the parts are shimano 105 or RX (plus shimano 600 hubs). It is 7 speed and has a 52 42 chain set (might not be original) which makes me think late 80s but I'm not 100% sure. I have attached some pictures .

I've been told the most distinctive part looks to be the seat stay join to the stem.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5517.JPG
    IMG_5517.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5518.JPG
    IMG_5518.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5513.JPG
    IMG_5513.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5470.JPG
    IMG_5470.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 52
E052DAA7-D0E2-4452-96A1-1075A6080033.jpeg

That’s quite an ornate lug. I don’t know what bike / frame it is, but that’s fairly distinctive.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Fairly standard Nervex cutout lugs and hollow top eyes. Harry Quinn built bikes just like this in the 70s but the frame number should begin with a "Q" made from the 0 and 1 stamps overlapping.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@GeolJoe go some nice detail for sure
Where is the frame number situated on the bottom bracket ?
If so going across or around the shell ?
Have you tried looking under or through the paint for any ghost writing ? ie original decals under the paint which almost looks like it's been sprayed

OP
OP
GeolJoe

GeolJoe

Fairly standard Nervex cutout lugs and hollow top eyes. Harry Quinn built bikes just like this in the 70s but the frame number should begin with a "Q" made from the 0 and 1 stamps overlapping.

Hi rogerzilla. Thanks for the help! I had a quick google and found this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...Retro-Suntour-Campagnolo-Eroica-/282875903174). The lug design looks almost exactly the same.

The frame number on my bike is barely visible so what i'm seeing as a 0 might well be a Q. I think I might need to get the paint stripper out to get a proper look at the frame number.

OP
OP
GeolJoe

GeolJoe

@GeolJoe go some nice detail for sure
Where is the frame number situated on the bottom bracket ?
If so going across or around the shell ?
Have you tried looking under or through the paint for any ghost writing ? ie original decals under the paint which almost looks like it's been sprayed

Hi Biggs 682. The frame number is on the bottom bracket and follows the outside of the shell. It's on the side opposite the chainset.

Unfortunately I think whoever resprayed it did a very good job removing the old paint. I can't find a trace of it and where the paint has been chipped I can only see the bare steel.

midlife

Guru
Lugs are probably Prugnat S4

28517893655_5ab8a607b0_b.jpg

OP
OP
GeolJoe

GeolJoe

I was thinking it looked a bit like a Viner Record with those seat stay caps and lugs

View attachment 436432
Hi midlife. Thanks for the help! I've just measured the bottom bracket and it looks like it's 70 mm. That could be a good shout. The lugs looks very similar to the Prugnat S4s. The brakes are set up in the continental style and the italian stem/handlebars did originally make me think it was an italian bike so it might well be that.

Top Bottom