Any ideas for a bicycle obstacle course please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was thinking today, on a hot day, and if a certain amount of spalshing wasn't a problem, you could do something with water - for example, each kid have to cycle a course one handed, holding a small bucket in the other hand, brim full of water. The amount lost could be measured at the end and time penalties added or something - least lost wins. The bucket would have to be small enough not to be too heavy when full, of course.

Or ride carrying a tray with plastic cups of water on it in one hand.

I remember a lot of the games on We are the Champions required water to be carted down the track and poured into a clear tube, and the team with most won - it was a way of balancing speed (I know you aren't encouraging speed particularly) and steadiness...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch has sparked off an idea .. could you joust ... with some kind of water bottles?

Line marked out down the playground... they must stay on their side and cycle towards the cyclist going the other way and then try to judge when to squirt them with the water bottle?

I'd love to see the risk assessment for this event.... (chances of coming off the bike - definitely possible, chances of fun - definitely high:biggrin:).

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
Arch has sparked off an idea .. could you joust ... with some kind of water bottles?

Line marked out down the playground... they must stay on their side and cycle towards the cyclist going the other way and then try to judge when to squirt them with the water bottle?

I'd love to see the risk assessment for this event.... (chances of coming off the bike - definitely possible, chances of fun - definitely high:biggrin:).

Forget the kids, I'd like to do that!

Might be more HS friendly if you did ride by shootings - trying to knock something off a stool with the jet from a supersoaker as you rode by...

I think we may be straying away from helpful here...:biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
summerdays said:

We used to borrow (**cough**) the red and brown squeezy sauce bottles from a local truckstop and joust with those in the village square. Mind you we were on mopeds. You had to do two passes, and the idea was to cover your oponents visor first time, forcing him to raise it for the second run. Great fun.

Water pistols would be less risky in terms of water volume for kids on bikes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:

Might be more HS friendly if you did ride by shootings - trying to knock something off a stool with the jet from a supersoaker as you rode by...

I think we may be straying away from helpful here...:eek:

Forget H+S - we want fun...

Cubist said:
We used to borrow (**cough**)

I've forgotten .... what's your profession now:evil:

grhm

Veteran
Arch said:

I think we may be straying away from helpful here...:biggrin:

Hmm... most of me thinks encouraging kid to have fun and gain cycling skills/confidence is a good thing. However a small part thinks teach kids how to aim and shoot whilst on a bike is a bad idea (probably to part of me that has had oiks on foot throw things at me).

On balance, bugger it, let them have fun :biggrin::biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've forgotten .... what's your profession now:evil:[/quote]

Err, well, yes, but to be guilty of theft you have to misappropriate an article with the intention of permanently depriving the owner of it, and we always meant to take them back, but somehow never got round to it, apart from Pongo who took one back to have it filled, and after listening to what the woman behind the counter said to him we decided it was probably better not to let her know how many needed filling......... :biggrin:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Used to do things like this at school fetes.

How about a short length of plank stood on one edge? The idea is to bunny hop over it. If you fail, the plank just falls over, so no drama or skinned knees.

buggi

Bird Saviour
atbman said:
Get Transco National Grid offcuts of yellow plastic mains gas pipe (they come in 9", 12", 18" and 24". Get more planks and bolt to pipes: this creates seesaws of increasing difficulty.

it's National Grid now.

how about jumping through flaming hoops? :tongue:

Top Bottom