Any ideas on keeping a bike shed dry/warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjgraham86

Über Member
I keep my two bikes along with the kids' bikes in an Asgard bike shed in the garden. It does what it says on the tin in terms of security but condensation is always present on the inside of the top lid and water comes off the tyres after every ride.

Does anyone have any ideas for reducing /eliminating the damp/cold to inhibit rusting of the bikes ? Obviously something battery powered or mains recharegeable would be ideal. I have tried the small crystal-filled dehumidifiers which are mains rechargeable and work up to a point but want soemthing a bit more effective.

It may simply be that all I can do is have a supply of old towels at hand to wipe down the floor and inside the lid to mkeep moisture levels down but if anyone has come across a better solution I'd be glad for the tip.

Thanks

pete

try a tray of cat litter ,brilliant for absorbing moisture and supermarket own brands are cheap as chips .

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
You need air flowing through it, like you'd have in a loft. Fit a couple vents near ground level and a couple near it highest point

subaqua

What’s the point
Anyway of getting electric to it. Could get one of those 'tube' heaters
that just means you have warm moist air . ventilation is whats needed to dry the condensation out, and as a supplementary method I can highly recommend the cat litter idea as thats what dries the moisture out in the conservatory at home when i dump the damp dive kit in there. a old paitr of tights filled with it is a great way to dry damp cycling shoes out too

get carpet on the floor and get one of these to warm the shed up with http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-blackcat-propane-camping-heater-p140053
Burning propane will generate more moisture than it disperses shirley?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you can get mains to it, a small dehumidifier will sort it out. Much cheaper than trying to get rid of moisure by heating. A paraffin or gas heater will increase the moisure level, I think.

Edit: Oops! I missed Mickle's post above. Sorry.

Davidc

Guru
The cheapest option is usually a fan. Pushing/pulling air through will usually keep anything dry, and that's how I deal with my shed. (No bikes, but garden tools etc.) I also have one in the garage which goes on whenever anything damp goes in there, and that keeps bikes and other stuff dry.

The one in the shed runs off a sealed lead acid battery recovered from a UPS - 12v 35AH when it was young, and it's a former 12v desktop computer cooling fan. It's mounted in the wall. I've used a very old device, 555 timer plus a suitable transistor, to run it - it goes for 8 minutes on, 53minutes off. An alternative would be to run it at lower voltage, slowly, all the time. Charging is by 6 recovered and reused panels from a set of solar garden lights, and this time of year I need to mains charge the battery about once every 2 weeks. The battery also does lighting - which is what it was put in the shed for in the first place.

The reason for putting the fan in the shed was that the tools were going rusty because of condensation. They don't now.

col

Legendary Member
A tip I learned from caravaners is to put bowls of salt in, one in each room. It absorbs moister very well, and keept the caravan moisture free in the off season when it wasnt used.

Top Bottom