Any ideas on the name/year/value of this vintage bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NCool

This bicycle used to be my Grandma's, and was looked after and possibly customised by my Grandad (who owned a bike shop).

Anyone got any ideas of the name, year, or value of the bike? I'm hoping to sell it, as I have no need for it, but I'm wondering what it's actually worth..

I think it's 1930s? Possibly an Elswick Dropped Tube Ladies Bike? It has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear. Aluminium (lytaloy) brake calipers and brake levers. Possibly a Raleigh, but the badge has been removed. My favourite thing's the seat, which is a Brooks Ladies B66 (new one's for sale at £80..but this one's pretty old)

Any ideas, thoughts or advice welcome...cheers!
7.jpg
7.5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
10.jpg

midlife

Guru
Looks very 60-70's ... Raleigh Wayfarer?

Drago

Legendary Member
70s ish, perhaps early 80s. Hard to be sure as your Gradad could have swapped out a lot of componemts. Frame looks a bit low rent, cheap stamped drop outs etc, although the lines are quite elegant. It has the wrong forks to be a Wayfarer, and the style of fork crown dates it as a relatively recent bike.

As aforementioned, the 4 digit date code on the rear hub will give a date, but we don't know if grandpa swapped the wheel during the rebuild. I would be genuinely surprised if it is from within 3 decades of the 30s.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Raleigh Wayfarer badged as a Hercules Balmoral had forks like the OP's.

Drago

Legendary Member
Looking at some Sturmey Archer sites, that exact style of shifter was introduced in 1966. If we assume it's original, id widen my range of dates slightly to 1966-early eighties, although my gut call is earlier during that period. That still makes it a c.50 year old ride.

Rear hub date code is liable to be the best you'll get, and I'm now keen to find out what that says!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cheers guys! Just checked the rear hub date code: 1982! Much newer than I'd thought!
If it's not worth much, I might just keep it for the saddle and put it on a newer bike... I love the bike, but 3 gears is not enough!
They were still making that style of bike years later, this one is an 86

DSCN0161.JPG

I rebuilt with new 700c wheels a square taper BB and new crank (original was steel cottered) and a 2nd hand Brooks B67..........Ooh changed the Handlebars and brakes too.

Top Bottom