Any ideas on the name/year/value of this vintage bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cheers guys! Just checked the rear hub date code: 1982! Much newer than I'd thought!
If it's not worth much, I might just keep it for the saddle and put it on a newer bike... I love the bike, but 3 gears is not enough!

3 gears is enough for local utility riding so long as you aren't in a hilly area. Before I was old enough to drive, I rode several thousand miles on a cheap 3-speed roadster, which I still own to this day. More recently, I picked up another similar machine that had been left in someone's shed and had not seen the light of day for over 43 years. I pumped up the tyres, gave it a squirt of oil and a quick tinker with the brakes and gears, and then took it for a 20 mile ride. The limitation with these old bikes is the rider not the bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is there damage to the forks & headtube. There appears to be a bend, backwards, in the pictures. As though it may have hit something.

Hi and :welcome:.
I was just thinking. There might be a date stamp underneath the rear frame of the Brooks saddle. The brake calipers should have a date stamped into them, usually at the back. The chain wheel may also have a date stamp. I thought that the handlebar stem looks like a 70's model.
Your bike looks in good condition .

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If I had that I'd put a rack on it and use it as a shopping/town bike - there's something I really like about those old 3-speed Sturmey Archer classics.

But if I really had no use for it, I'd stick in on eBay for whatever it would fetch, just to get a nice old bike back in use again.
I agree, I've recently recovered my 3 speeder from a friend's garage where it has been the last year whilst I moved house and I'd forgotten what a pleasure it is to ride. It just brings a sense of calm when I'm on it and it's perfectly Ok on canal paths or the odd bridleway near me, which I use to do shopping errands.
Mind you I also have a converted mid 90`s MTB which is an equally capable all rounder.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I agree, I've recently recovered my 3 speeder from a friend's garage where it has been the last year whilst I moved house and I'd forgotten what a pleasure it is to ride. It just brings a sense of calm when I'm on it and it's perfectly Ok on canal paths or the odd bridleway near me, which I use to do shopping errands. .

The gentle 'tick' of the 2nd/3rd gear...

Drago

Legendary Member
I've often considered selling my entire fleet and getting a nice 3 speeder.

Top Bottom