Any ideas what this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Went to cut a Christmas tree yesterday and in the field is a weird and wonderful caravan with all sorts of trinkets and hand made wooden whatsits and whodyamabobs, also this rusty thing clearly meant as an ornament
IMAG0449.jpg

Is it interesting or just an old rust bucket?
I just quickly snapped this pic, didn't have time to look at it properly as I had a ten footer on my back!!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's certainly interesting, and definitely no rust bucket (other than in current cosmetic state!)
Looking at the lug work It's hand made, and was a relatively good quality bike in its day. It's probably English, and maybe something like late 1950s to mid 60s in age. Maybe a Claud Butler if I had to guess at the builder from one pic.

Very well worth looking into more if you're interested in a restoration project! It's already had several updates at some point, the wheels and the brakes don't look right on this frame and obviously the consumables have been done cheaply. It could look amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
It did catch my eye, but it's not a bike I would ride so cannot justify looking into restoring it as I have more bikes than space at the minute and another on the way (not that i have loads of bike just very little space!)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes I agree, I think it's an early 80s brake refit. The frame is 20 years older than the brakes at least.
In fact it's not inconceivable that the original brake was a push rod setup rather than cable.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes I agree, I think it's an early 80s brake refit. The frame is 20 years older than the brakes at least.
In fact it's not inconceivable that the original brake was a push rod setup rather than cable.
Nah, it's a 70s frame, not too dissimilar from my 80s Raleigh 'City' in fact although that has 80s aluminium brakes installed now by me and lower handlebars (plus 700c rims to give me better tyre choice)
DSCN0038.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't get too excited. Even if you did rescue it the seat post looks like its well rusted into the frame and with both being steel you'll never get it out, so looks like junk.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What makes you think it's an ornament? It may be the pride and joy of the caravan's occupant ;) Looks like it has at least a newish front tyre. And a @Cycleops says that seatpost looks (insofar as you can tell from a photo) a bit stuckish.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
The tyres were flat and half hanging off the rims so it isn't in use currently/hasn't been for a long time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The tyres were flat and half hanging off the rims so it isn't in use currently/hasn't been for a long time.
I did put a smiley in, I wasn't being entirely serieous, as obviously I wasn't there. You paint an interesting picture of the caravan, and that led me to imagining an occupant with unusual tastes. ("But I like my tyres like that").

But anyway, I take your point.

Top Bottom