Any IT buffs out there? Any virus help very gratefully accepted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Just had a phone call from my son who seems to have a virus on his laptop
W32.MYZOR.SK@YF. I've googled it and theres not too much info out there which helps. One site says its a bug which takes you to a site where a remedy exists at a price but the whole set up is contrived to make money for the bug creator/ site owner and I suspect it wont work anyway :rolleyes: Whenever he goes on line it directs him to this site. I'm waiting for further details from him tomorrow but I thought I'd give you chaps a try first. There seems to be experts in pretty well everything in the "cafe" Sorry if the info is a bit sparse at the moment and thanks very much in advance.

mr Mag00

rising member
there was a piece on Radio 4 about these this week. its a result of looking at less than savoury pages and somewhere in the small writing for the site it will state that unless you sign up to their sites, within a time period, they will take over the computer and you will have to pay for the remedy. This sounds very much like one of these to me.
it doesnt come under our jurisdiction and there is nothing you can do, if i remember from the program rightly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about that. Can't help with the virus but having caught a nasty and frightening version of that on my work laptop all I can say is.... warn him to be a bit more careful what sites he looks at in future.

Luckily my IT bloke was discrete and sympathetic and with a lot of digging and delving was able to root it out.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you download AVG from grisoft.com (I think) and burn it to a CD, your son can then run AVG from the disk, which may sort this out. It'll cost you a CD, so it's quite cheap.
Best of the free antivirus things out there.
And yes, keep off the pr0n sites...

Danny

Legendary Member
Don't know about this specific virus.

If he does not have anti-virus software on his computer he should install some immediately and run a full virus scan to see if that will get rid.

AVG anti-virus is a free and reputable product which can be downloaded for free from here.

If that doesn't work there are expert IT forums who will help get rid. I've got a link somewhere, but can't immediately find it. I'm sure others on CC can suggest places to go, but if not I'll pull out the details later.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Mmm ta ... sounds a bit ominous .. especially on a laptop :biggrin: Mucky sites ... thought as much :rolleyes: I asked him to load Avast but when he tried to run it the PC closed down. He only bought it about 3 months ago..
He must be the only 28 year old computer illiterate on the planet. I also asked him if he had an anti virus prog and he said he hadnt but there was a firewall running and that was all he needed!!

Danny

Legendary Member
The Lavasoft posts - and others I have Googled - are all about 2 years old so with a bit of luck most anti-virus products will now have a removal tool for this virus.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Virus checker, firewall (not windows) and spy checker are a minimum...and you can get free ones !

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Evilcat said:
A quick Google found this, which could help.

EC

Tried that one evilcat... ta anyway. I think thats the one thats run by the bloke who started the bug.:rolleyes:
I've just posted AVG to him in the hope that they're anti virus prog has been updated with the fix for the Myzor bug . If not then its that Lavasoft support job:eek::biggrin: which looks a bit scary.

ta again to all ... this'll teach him to be careful in future. I was about to go for a ride at 7pm when all this kicked off...........:ohmy:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
yorkshiregoth said:
Have you thought about ditching the PC laptop and getting a Mac? :rolleyes:

I was waiting for that:biggrin:

My daugher had a Mac and replaced it with a PC laptop--- that broke and she's back with the old mac ... one of those aged lime green jobs..

Top Bottom