Any male 60 years olds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
TheDoctor said:
Are we talking 'Poohsticks' here?
And I don't mean the chucking-stuff-in-the-river game...

If you have enough roughage in your diet then you can play the game - they will float!

Some years ago when I was working at a sick bay we had a young matelot who complained of blood in his faeces... now it is most likely to be piles, but you still check.

He was asked to bring in a fresh sample for testing, and did so in a Tupperware box. When we finished and had disposed of the box and contents - he was upset and asked for the box back as it was his daughter's sandwich box and she would need it the following day!

Bill Gates

661-Pete said:
Answered by ASC1951. There is some statistical evidence, but we're only talking of 'risks' though.

I must have had a high cholesterol reading at the time I was started (can't remember what it was - and in those days I was a meat-eater anyway) - and cholesterol comes from lots of things besides meat. Anyway I'm on a fairly minimal dose which my doctor wants me to continue, and my cholesterols are now acceptably low and stable. I think that people on higher doses, or on certain types of statins, do need to be careful about grapefruit.:becool:

GPs must be on some sort of commission from the drug companies. IMO you don't need to take them but then I'm not a GP. It's all about small and large particles of LDL. Cholesterol levels themselves don't reflect the true risk of developing arterial plaque.

Bill Gates

Cunobelin said:
Some years ago when I was working at a sick bay we had a young matelot who complained of blood in his faeces... now it is most likely to be piles, but you still check.

He was asked to bring in a fresh sample for testing, and did so in a Tupperware box. When we finished and had disposed of the box and contents - he was upset and asked for the box back as it was his daughter's sandwich box and she would need it the following day!

:becool:

Bill Gates

661-Pete said:
Answered by ASC1951. There is some statistical evidence, but we're only talking of 'risks' though.

I must have had a high cholesterol reading at the time I was started (can't remember what it was - and in those days I was a meat-eater anyway) - and cholesterol comes from lots of things besides meat. Anyway I'm on a fairly minimal dose which my doctor wants me to continue, and my cholesterols are now acceptably low and stable. I think that people on higher doses, or on certain types of statins, do need to be careful about grapefruit.:biggrin:

Just posted on Blood Pressure thread:

Just been to the GP and he agrees with me that the combination of high pulse pressure and low HR is an indication of large stroke volume. He took 2 x readings of my blood pressure and the first one was 162/78 (quite high, pulse pressure 84) and HR was 46; 2nd was 142/78 (pulse pressure 64) and HR was 45.

Oh and another thing which was amazing he agreed that I didn't need to take any statins!!!:biggrin:

They don't normally measure small/large particled of LDL but he is going to make enquiries to see if they can do it for me. Stunned really, quite a good bloke.

Top Bottom